9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question on hatching brine shrimp eggs

Hi there,

A few questions for those experienced with hatching brine shrimp eggs:

1. The PH here in New Orleans is 8.2. This means I don't have to add baking soda, correct?

2. Some websites say you don't need a light right on the top of the hatchery, since room light is enough. Is this correct?

3. Is it worth raising the shrimp to a larger size in a separate container to feed larger fish? As I understand, the main nutritional value of BBS is the sac attached to the babies, which will not last beyond a day. Any information or experience on this?

Thanks in advance.
ahem likes this.

55g low-tech tank with rainbowfish, empire gudgeon, panda garras and cories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 11:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Salt is more necessary than baking soda. You may not need light but you need warmth, so the warmth from the light is what's needed. During harvest you DEFINITELY need the light so the shrimp goes to it and you can scoop out whatever is necessary.

From my experience, bigger container the better your yield. You can absolutely use a smaller container but depends on how many you want to use (size of the amount of bbs).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Salt is more necessary than baking soda. You may not need light but you need warmth, so the warmth from the light is what's needed. During harvest you DEFINITELY need the light so the shrimp goes to it and you can scoop out whatever is necessary.

From my experience, bigger container the better your yield. You can absolutely use a smaller container but depends on how many you want to use (size of the amount of bbs).

Thanks. The point about using the light to keep the container warm is a good one. I don't think I need a light during harvest. In my experience, as soon as you stop the air pump the BBS will drop to the bottom. I just harvest them with a pipette. My third question is about raising the BBS to adulthood in a separate container. It was not about the container used to hatch the eggs.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 11:33 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use Instant Ocean marine aquarium salt and have never added baking soda. They hatch. Never attempted to raise them to adulthood in 30 years of hatching them! I purchased adult BS from local fish stores when those were a thing many times, but the steps to raise them were never something I wanted (or had much need) to attempt.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
It's not worth it to raise them to adulthood since bbs is so cheap to purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am able to hatch BBS super easy, but have never been able to get them survive beyond about 3 or 4 days, never mind to adulthood! Tried all suggestions of feeding them and moving to bigger container etc, but no luck.

Best to feed them to fish as soon as they hatch for maximum nutrition, otherwise they just use up their egg-sacks over the first few days and hence become less nutritious. If you can get them to mature into adults then you're a better aquarist than I! but as others have said, there's not really much point and it may not be worth the hassle.

I bought a "Hobby artemia hatchery" to try as an easy way to hatch smaller quantities of BBS. Works pretty well, much less hassle than messing around with air pumps in cola bottles etc, and super simple to hatch a smaller number of BBS at a time. They seem to hatch a bit slower than in an aerated bottle setup and also come out over the course of a few days, which is more convenient. Looks like this:

ahem, Discusluv, evil8 and 1 others like this.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I use Instant Ocean marine aquarium salt and have never added baking soda. They hatch. Never attempted to raise them to adulthood in 30 years of hatching them! I purchased adult BS from local fish stores when those were a thing many times, but the steps to raise them were never something I wanted (or had much need) to attempt.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
It's not worth it to raise them to adulthood since bbs is so cheap to purchase

I agree, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
I am able to hatch BBS super easy, but have never been able to get them survive beyond about 3 or 4 days, never mind to adulthood! Tried all suggestions of feeding them and moving to bigger container etc, but no luck.

Best to feed them to fish as soon as they hatch for maximum nutrition, otherwise they just use up their egg-sacks over the first few days and hence become less nutritious. If you can get them to mature into adults then you're a better aquarist than I! but as others have said, there's not really much point and it may not be worth the hassle.

I bought a "Hobby artemia hatchery" to try as an easy way to hatch smaller quantities of BBS. Works pretty well, much less hassle than messing around with air pumps in cola bottles etc, and super simple to hatch a smaller number of BBS at a time. They seem to hatch a bit slower than in an aerated bottle setup and also come out over the course of a few days, which is more convenient. Looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSBRE7TeB0U

This product looks fantastic! It is a pity that I purchased all the setup of traditional hatchery already I will try it one day, thanks.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1) Not necessarily. I think my water's pretty soft in Arkansas and can get away without baking soda. Using a marine salt like Instant Ocean will buffer the water.

2)Room light is fine. My hatcheries are under a skylight, and I get pretty good hatches.

3)I had a thread on this topic a very long while ago (like 4-5 years ago)...I should restart that thread. While the main nutritional value of BBS is in the yolk sack upon hatching, there is value in adults, which have a more even balance of protein and lipids. You have to gut load the adults prior to feeding them, but if you're raising them to adulthood, that jsut means giving them one last feeding prior to raising them.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:

Thats what I use as well. Works great!
evil8 and ElleDee like this.

Amy
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 05:16 PM
Planted Member

I love that hatchery! I was annoyed at spending the money on such a simple hunk of plastic, but I had previously tried to hatch BBS with materials I already had (which does not include an air pump) and it did not go well, so I clearly needed to rethink my approach. It works perfectly and every step of the process is easy, so I take back every negative thought I had about it. 10/10 perfect for my needs. If I need a continuous BBS supply in the future I'll get another.

I mix 4 cup of water at ~82F with a pinch of baking soda, a drop of water conditioner, and 15 grams sea salt from my kitchen. I don't know if I need the baking soda or water conditioner, but it's no trouble to add them. I use a kitchen scale to measure the salt and I have no idea how accurate it is, but clearly it's good enough. I set it up according to the directions, but I only have LED light bulbs, so I use that and leave it in the hottest room in my house.
Discusluv likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

For Hatching:
1 to 1.5 teaspoons of Pickling Salt(non-iodized) per cup of dechlorinated water
Pinch of Baking Soda
Temperature: 82 deg. F (24-36 hrs)
Light is not required during hatching
Air stone required

Raise to adults:
I followed the youtube. Leave bucket outside
covered(translucent). No airstone. I did use instan ocean since you need the minerals in the salt mix to raise them. You dump unhatched eggs into a bucket. I have limited space in my balcony so only did 2 gallon bucket. I also get direct blazing So. CA heat. Amazing, the shrimp survived 103 deg. F weather. I still see many mated pairs in the bucket. I feed spiruline powder. Sometimes I forget to feed them.

It is mainly experimental. It is a mess to scoop them out since you will end up with unhatched eggs.

From what I read, adult brine have little nutritional value unless they have been fed with vitamins prior to harvest for feeding fish.

My first 2 trials, everything died. Probably just way too many brine shrimp intially. I had no luck doing it indoors, works for others. I think the UV light has some benefits to stagnant water.

Hope this helps. 🙂
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Thanks for showing this, just bought one! BBS are such a messy PIA to hatch with the airstones and all that. This looks very promising as a simple solution. Based on reviews, it's the best one on Amazon.

I have tried to grow them out too and it is not easy at all, seems like more of an art and not worth it unless you have need for loads of brine shrimp and can't get them locally. The problem is titrating the proper amount of food for them. Slightly too little and they quickly die of starvation, slightly too much and they quickly die of poor water quality. It's very unforgiving. I've kept store bought ones alive for a few days in a small tank, but even with water changes and maintenance still could not keep them going. Was hoping they would breed and I could get a perpetual supply but turned out to be FAR more trouble than it is worth.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

I have one of them, too. Never liked the old fashion methods. It makes two to three days worth of feedings and I re-set it up on the third afternoon. New batch ready the next day. I bred harlequins this year due to this hatchery. Now I have 50+ juveniles all raised with the help of this hatchery. About to bred some nannacaras using it, too. It works well. I put a small reading lamp over it with a construction paper shield wrapped around the lamp shroud and sitting flush to the hatchery surface. It's bright and they stay warm. I highly recommend. I feed frozen shrimp if treating the adults.

<"\\\><
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Those Hobby hatcheries really are great. So simple and so much less hassle than the normal hatchery with airline setup. To feed, you just lift out the little cup and rinse the BBS under the tap (it has the right gauze built in so you don't lose any). I then just use a syringe of tank water to wash the BBS out of the cup and into a test tube from where I share them between the tanks. The other great thing for me is that you don't end up with a million BBS all at once on day one, but a slower hatch over the course of 3 days or so (I'd say 40% hatch on days 1 and 2, 20% on day 3, and maybe a few on day 4 if you leave it that long). Takes only a few min to reset every 3 or 4 days, just needs a quick rinse, new salt water and a small scoop of eggs. The hatch rate and quantity is perfect for feeding a few tanks. I get first hatch after about 18 hours, but my room temp is about 29C!

My tip: If you have a largish syringe (50ml good), put the dry BS eggs into that first (pull plunger right out and pour in from top), insert plunger, withdraw it to suck up some water from the hatchery, quick shake to ensure eggs are wet and mixed up, then squirt around perimeter ring of hatchery. I found this better than simply sprinkling into the hatchery where some eggs just sat on the surface and didn't get properly wet, or else stuck all round the side as I tried to stir them in.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just wanted to report that I just got this product, recommended by en7jos:

https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/hatchery-dish

Works like a charm! No aeration needed, no hassle. The harvest of the brine shrimp could not be easier. Very impressed. It does not produce large quantities, so it might not work for breeders. Otherwise, very convenient product.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode