PTrader: (0/0%)
Advice for a novice.

I have just set up my first no filter nano bowl. I have used the following;
Tropica substrate base layer,
Tropica aqua soil ontop,
Fine gravel in the foreground,
Spider wood,
Seiryu stone.

(All of the above is brand new. I washed the gravel and stone first but everything else was straight out of the packet).

Set up and first 24hrs was great. Didn't disturb anything when filling up and I have used basic low light easy grow plants.

I did a 50% water change after 24hrs but then may have made a rookie error..... I wanted to swap the position of two plants i had planted so when the water was lowest I carefully pulled them out and swapped them around. This didn't make much mess and all seemed fine. I filled the bowl back up and thought that was that. That day I then noticed the water starting to turn grey and cloudy which steadily got worse over that day until the next morning when it was dark and slightly browner. I did another water change today and the water has again gradually started to get murkeir since.

I fear I may have punctured the soil capping top and disturbed some of the base substrate when moving the plants which has caused it to leach into the water and be the cause for the gloom.

Would that be the cause?

If so is it best to maintain water changes daily as planned in the hopes it starts to ease?

OR

Should i drain the water to below the level at the back where I disturbed it and add some more aqua soil or fine garvel to try and plug whatever gaps may have been made?

This is all new to me and a learning experience so apologies if there is an obvious answer. Trial and error and all that.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Location: Southern Tier of Central New York, USA (Finger Lakes Region)
This may help: Cloudy Aquarium Water

My website and Blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 06:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The brown is most likely coming from the spider wood leaching out tannins.

Something you didn't mention was how thick your fine gravel layer was. How thick is it in comparison to the substrate and aqua soil layers?

How gently are you doing your water changes?

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode