Subwassertang Palatibility to Snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Subwassertang Palatibility to Snails

Hello,

I just set up a 5.5 gallon cherry shrimp nano tank. I have large clumps of subwassertang and java moss. I noticed I have some pond/bladder snail hitchhikers. Although some are on the glass mowing down the algae growth, I have noticed some others spending time on the subwassertang. Today I noticed a few holes in the subwassertang fronds (if looking closely here and there).

In the future I was also looking into getting some colorful ramshorn snails (blue morph) to add to the invert community. This tank is primarily to house an RCS breeding colony with the snails. However, I am now wondering if the pond snails have an appetite for the subwassertang and if their activities will reduce or eliminate my subwassertang over time. As the tank matures I was hoping to have a dense subwassertang jungle in there for the RCS. A corollary to my question is whether ramshorn snails obtained in the future would also pose a risk to the subwassertang. Thank you for reading and I appreciate all responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 05:32 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Outside of active plant eaters like mystery snails, I've never noticed any that eat subwassertang. I keep pond, bladder, trumpets and ramshorns with mine and have never seen signs of it being consumed.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Outside of active plant eaters like mystery snails, I've never noticed any that eat subwassertang. I keep pond, bladder, trumpets and ramshorns with mine and have never seen signs of it being consumed.

Great! Thanks for sharing your actual experience with this. On a side note, is it true that the blue ramshorn snails are more likely to eat plants than the other color morphs (like pink ramshorns or red ramshorns?....apparently I heard somewhere that the blue ramshorn snails are actually a different species from the common ramshorn or the pink color morph).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:32 PM
snails are your friend

I've never heard that, but it doesn't make it not true! I do believe there are two separate genera of ramshorns, but haven't seen that either are more likely to feed on healthy growth. I know if they are absolutely out of food that they can though. I moved a slew of them to a gallon bowl while treating for planaria and after cleaning this bowl out to the point it's looking sterile, they have eaten some tender leaves. I feel sure that wouldn't have happened had I fed hardly at all though.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I've never heard that, but it doesn't make it not true! I do believe there are two separate genera of ramshorns, but haven't seen that either are more likely to feed on healthy growth. I know if they are absolutely out of food that they can though. I moved a slew of them to a gallon bowl while treating for planaria and after cleaning this bowl out to the point it's looking sterile, they have eaten some tender leaves. I feel sure that wouldn't have happened had I fed hardly at all though.
Hmm. Well it looks like I'll just have to see how they turn out once I do obtain the blue ramshorn snails. If there's any evidence of plant eating, I'll swiftly remove them. My plan is to wait and have the plants to grow in as well as allow for the cherry shrimp to reproduce and start a thriving colony before introducing the ramshorns in the future.

Can pond snails, ramshorns, and cherry shrimp develop sustainable, thriving populations in the same 5.5 gallon tank? Will one of the snails predominate and eliminate the other species somehow? Just some thoughts going through my mind.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 02:05 AM
snails are your friend

Not in my experience. You will have more of some "pest" snails than others, but shrimp do better having any snail's presence I am all but certain. I doubt you will have any plant-eating problems out of any ramshorn snail.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode