Alum Sulfate Soak - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alum Sulfate Soak

Hi,

I will be trying the alum 1Tbsp/gallon plant soak for 2 days. Do you always use dechlorinated water for dip/soaks?

Do I still need aquarium plant light during the soak?

If aquarium plants don’t need oxygenated water, what keeps them alive other than light and nutrients? Flowing water?

What I am trying to understand, if I took 2 of the same plants, one in tupperware, put light on it, added some plant nutrients and the other in an aquarium. Would both survive?

I understand growth rate will be different. I’m curious because some plants simply die in the tank even though they are hardy.

Common plants like guppy grass, moss, hornwort. Nothing fancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

I don't use dechlorinator when I dip my new plants. I have softened well water, though, so YMMV. I figure if your water has a small amount of chlorine that shouldn't hurt the plants and may help with your objective, which is killing tiny critters/eggs on the plant.

Here is a good video that includes the alum dip. She quarantines the plants for a month after to see if the dips are effective, so also addresses nutrients and lights.

I think for 3 days ferts and a dedicated light are not necessary. I put my bucket of plants in alum dip outside in the shade of a tree, stirring once a day. In the winter they go near a window. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
I don't use dechlorinator when I dip my new plants. I have softened well water, though, so YMMV. I figure if your water has a small amount of chlorine that shouldn't hurt the plants and may help with your objective, which is killing tiny critters/eggs on the plant.

Here is a good video that includes the alum dip. She quarantines the plants for a month after to see if the dips are effective, so also addresses nutrients and lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psv6ZMcpjR0

I think for 3 days ferts and a dedicated light are not necessary. I put my bucket of plants in alum dip outside in the shade of a tree, stirring once a day. In the winter they go near a window. Hope that helps!
Great Thank you. I did watch that video, must have missed the nutrient and light part, will re-watch. I will probably do
few weeks as well to be on the safe side.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode