Mature tanks.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mature tanks....

Who has mature tanks that have been chugging along for years? If so, post how long your tank has been going....Would love to see anyone that has had a tank going for a decade or more 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have an 8.5 year old 24 x 24 inch cube aquarium that has been going for 8.5 years. Same filter it started with.
It is not a "planted tank" per sey. I mean, I plant plants in it routinely and, then, they routinely die.

I have discus in this tank, it is low tech, lots of water changes and high heat. Not a good mix for plant growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 05:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
13 years. Hope its not unlucky. Id like to think that some of the bacteria can trace their lineage all the way back to the beginning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 03:32 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have a pair of 125 gallon tanks that haven't been broken down since before I joined this forum. They're going strong but are in need of an overhaul one of these days. Once in a while I move some hardscape during a water change and the sludge is unreal in the areas that don't get gravel vacc'ed regularly.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 29 gallon that is at least 17 years old. Kind of lost track. It has a bristlenose pleco and one last zebra loach that are as old as the tank. I replaced the substrate at one point maybe 8 years ago and have pool filter sand now. It has gone through many phases of looking better and worse. It’s super ugly right now, but I’m pretty sure I’m on a sustainable upswing. It’s been a very long lesson in having realistic expectations of myself and the plants.

Editing to add: Do tanks get old? Not like old tank syndrome, but like the actual tank? It’s a standard glass-with-black-frame. Was All-glass at the time... Will the silicone let go at some point?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think that tanks 'getting old' is largely a function of the assembly quality when the tank was built . If the conditions were right , i.e. the glass was absolutely clean , everything fitted exactly as it should , the assembler knew what they were doing and wasn't having a bad day , the tank wasn't bounced around before the sealant totally cured ; then the tank should last a real long time .
I've got a 20 gallon long Metaframe , purchased new when frameless tanks were new . Been set up since new , save for breakdowns due to moving , and change of setups when I change species (I keep species tanks) . I've also got a 10 that's been around forever , maybe a Perfecto or All-Glass . Same thing , never resealed , just holds water like new .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode