Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain View, CA, United States
Why does GH/KH/PH goes up after a while?
Hello Amazing community,
I hope I can pick somebody's brain here. I've been trying to research this on my own, but not been very successful.
TL:DR: I'm trying to figure out why is the GH/KH/PH increasing as the days go by, as I'm not seeing what could be causing this considering I top of with filtered water, and only add Macros every now and then (sometimes I even forget).
I don't know if it is the substrate, the macros, or perhaps the plants or shrimps that cause the increase and that's why I'm here, to learn from you.
The tank setup:
* 7.5 GAL
* Live plants (baby dwarf tears, xmas moss, myriophyllum mini, alternanthera, pogostemon)
* Shrimp (neocaridina)
* Substrate (Shrimp substrate from Up Aqua, which is supposed to decrease PH)
* A light base of red clay under the substrate (which I added hoping it would help some ludwigia I had to turn redder by having extra source of iron)
* Injected CO2
* One piece of driftwood
1. Let's take the baseline after a water change
* PH is around 7.5 to 7.8
* GH is around 6 to 7
* KH is around 5 to 7
* TDS around 150
2. I dose macros 2 to 3 times per week (alternated)
* MPK to get it to between 3ppm and 5ppm, and that usually lasts a couple of days
* Fe on alternate days to try and help improve reds in the alternanthera (but it yellows my water)
3. I top off with filtered water (Zero water, almost close to RO, water registers 0 TDS)
4. After about a week, when I measure, the numbers have risen:
* PH is around 8
* GH is around 10 to 12
* KH is around 9 to 12
* TDS around 180
Hope some of you can shed some light and help me learn and understand what could be causing this, and perhaps what can I do to keep it more stable.
Thanks in advance.