Quietest way to diffuse co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quietest way to diffuse co2

I am setting up a planted peninsula tank between my kitchen and living room and need co2 diffusion to be silent. I was going to get a GLA atomizer. But wondering what everyone thought was the quietest option.

FN33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can't remember ever hearing much from my Cerges reactor, but I don't know what your filtration/plumbing options are.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I can't remember ever hearing much from my Cerges reactor, but I don't know what your filtration/plumbing options are.
I do have a 2217 on a 60 gallon.

But reactors seems bulky and ugly. And I don’t mind the mist as much as noise. An in tank is a bit too much mist. But my biggest problem with a reactor is it cutting down my flow.

So I guess I’m asking how quiet atomizers are.

FN33

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Just get a regular ceramic in-tank diffuser. I never hear anything from mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
In-line atomizer is pretty quiet. I enjoyed the Cerge's reactor more though as the water didn't look like Sprite, and I could run the regulator at a lower PSI.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
In-line atomizer is pretty quiet. I enjoyed the Cerge's reactor more though as the water didn't look like Sprite, and I could run the regulator at a lower PSI.
Hmm, I suppose I could try this:

https://greenleafaquariums.com/produ...r-12-16mm.html

I am not a handyman so I am not trying to build anything.

My fear of the reactor is how much flow I’ll lose. It’s going to be a heavily planted tank with carpet that needs water movement. I think I read somewhere you lose about 30% of flow, not sure if true.

So both your reactor and atomizer are just as quiet?

FN33
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I’ve used both, and reactors do have the potential to make gurgling sounds toward the end of the day as CO2 builds up in them, which is a function of reactor size and CO2 levels. However, they can also be dead quiet if the CO2 build-up does not occur. I have a way to greatly reduce this build-up in a reactor, if it becomes a problem, but it sounds like you may not be happy with a reactor due to plumbing issues and bulkiness. You may want to search “GLA reactor”, here on TPT, to see if anyone has used that particular style. Most of us use either a Griggs or Cerges reactor.

I’ve used the Atomic in-line diffusers (sold by GLA) and they are also dead quiet. I’ve tried various ceramic diffusers. I prefer reactors due to increased dissolution rates and clear tank water. The in-line diffuser tended to make my tank hazy from the very fine bubbles. The ceramic diffusers spew a stream of somewhat fine bubbles from the diffuser, very similar to other aerators. These can make a slight hissing sound at the waters’ surface and the bubbles can also be sent throughout the tank. Much depends upon circulation in the case of diffusers.

As far as reactor flow is concerned, anything between the filter and the tank is going to reduce flow to some degree, including long tubing paths and in-line diffusers. The filter size has to be selected with estimated GPH in mind. You size the reactor (length and diameter in the case of a Griggs) to accommodate the CO2 needed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find the main reason the Grigg's reactors may make noise is due to the way so many people refuse to use the tried and true design but want to improve them! When they improve them and they don't work as well, they then fail to look at why it happens. but if you have already decided against one, there is little reason to ask about them.
If you want quiet, I have never seen anything that produces bubbles in the tank that is quiet as bubbles of any sort do make noise. The devil truly is in the details!
https://rotalabutterfly.com/rex-grigg/diy-reactor.htm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the information this really helps a lot. I have not decided against anything...well except building my own.
I have Set aside the money to just buy what I need. I am a writer so handyman is unfortunately a skill I don’t posses, but more importantly do not trust!

I have researched the GLA reactor and have only read good things. Including a specific review on the GLA site in regards to it being used with a 2217. But I think it has only been on the market for 8 months, so feedback is difficult to find.

I think the GLA may be my best bet if I were to buy one unless you guys know of another to purchase. I have seen nilocg’s for sale... his Cerges is sold out but the Rex is available:

https://www.nilocg.com/product-categ...for-aquariums/

Of course my peninsula tank is only 18 inches high and the 2217 is 17. Being that it’s 24 and states to go under the tank, where as mine will go beside it, it wouldn’t only be ugly as sin but quite a mismatch ha!

My co2 tubing and filter hoses to a reactor/atomizer would only be 6 inches, however the output tubing itself I have the option to only be a couple feet to the tank, or more preferable, 4-5 feet to the other side of the tank. Maybe that length will dissolve a co2 atomizer by the time it hits the tank?

This is because the inlet comes out the bottom of an Ehaim classic and would be ideal to not have it coming up over the tank instead of the output just coming over the tank, since all my equipment will be basically beside the tank.

If that all makes sense, perhaps a visual (not I’m not plumbing in the wall lol):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	166ED068-1547-46BD-8D8C-8DA73B0D493E_1601756704581.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	903691  

Name:	1F40403B-0426-4772-8C24-264EB643DFF0_1601756723048.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	903693  

Name:	A28C2642-A470-44B4-9942-42D779668C94_1601756760685.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	903695  

FN33
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I was using an FX5 as a filter so my flow rate was very high for a 100g aquarium. I had the output line split so I could regulate how much flow went into the co2 reactor to avoid build-up of co2 which caused noise. I ended up running both split sides at full flow and it worked perfectly. The filter made more noise than the co2 components, so I think it will ultimately be your choice. I used the Atomic in-line diffuser before switching to a DIY Cerge's reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode