Not happy with the current state of my tank. How do I improve it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not happy with the current state of my tank. How do I improve it?

This is my 6 month old low tech 30gal. No matter what I do it's still hideous in my eyes. Do you think it looks decent? How do I improve it? I'm planning to add more driftwood and plants. I think it lacks some kind of hardscape. It's silly I've been in the hobby for 3 years and still behind many people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_220651_1601356204539.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	903545  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200921_193105_1601356219204.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	903547  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry I don't know how to upload pictures properly , haha...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
look good to me, but I think it is time to get a bigger tank, much bigger...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks okay to me. I think it depends on what you're going for. It's a bit too sparse for a jungle tank, and too disorganized for a dutch tank. I think it could have benefited from having more plants of the same type either more closely together, or just more plant species in general.

The crypt in the front and slightly to the right is a perfect example of the rule of thirds/golden ratio, so you did a great job there. It could do with a little bit of contrast just so you could see how big it is (or small).

I once did a small aquascape where I "terraced" the plants and put down little pebble pathways separating the different plants I had planted. You could try doing something similar, as a way to sort of signify "this area is for X plant, this area for Y plant".

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
More plants? More driftwood? A bigger tank? All thoughts. I don't mean to sound like the fish police either, but Bosemani Rainbows are a tad too big for a 29 gallon as well IMO. They need more like a 4 foot tank.

I would upgrade to a 40 breeder or larger tank. Or at least a tank with a larger footprint. Or if you want a REALLY big tank, go with a 75. Rainbows would love that! I have a 33 long and it serves me well. I have a tank with a big footprint, being 4 feet long, but smaller volume/size to make it easy for maintenance/care on myself. Those are my favorite tanks currently. I like to think of them as little big tanks. 33L, 40L, 40 breeder etc.

If you have any issues with tank cleanliness or water parameters, water changes, water changes, water changes! They are really helpful.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would be quite happy looking at that tank every day.

I've been in the hobby close to 20 years and realized long ago that I just do not have the creative eye, talent or patience to create the wonderful looks others have. So my focus has always been a thriving fish tank accented with plants/hardscape that I am able to maintain and that I find pleasing. Others may concentrate first on creating quite beautiful aquascapes accented with fish that they enjoy keeping. These, I continue to admire and be amazed at how someone can just see that picture in their head and transfer it to that box. And there are many varying degrees of "success" along the way depending on one's personal vision.

That's not to say that you won't get where you want to go. If you've got the time and desire, there is certainly no end to the examples you can research (and copy) that are pleasing to you and beneficial for your fish.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

To my eye ÖI canít tell if there are any major problems. I do think I see cyanobacteria or algae issues on the substrate and, perhaps, climbing the glass on the lower regions. Do you also have algae on the leaves? The basic layout - from a distance - looks fine (itís always personal taste). If you have what you think are specific problems, try to get a close-up image and describe the problem(s).

Are you asking for thoughts on correcting specific problems or just opinions on tank layout? If you have problems, please provide, in addition to close-ups and descriptions, as much of the following as possible:

- Light (make & model): ideally, PAR and PUR reading/estimate at the substrate and photoperiod?
- Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings and which test kits/devices are used for each?
- What you are dosing (product and quantity), in terms of ppm, and how often?
- What is your filter setup?
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am by no means even close to most of those on this site and can't really zoom in very well, soooo with that said. Your plants look great, healthy and growing! I would put a nice rock group or piece of wood in the front left center where those other small ??? 3 items are.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
It looks good, instead of 'bigger' tanks, I'd want to say get MORE tanks.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First of all it doesn't look bad. It just looks like you're basing your design off of tanks from the 80s and 90s.

Yes, design. Have you watched YouTube videos on how to design your scapes yet? You won't have ideas unless you do that or at least look at say, winners of aquascapong competitions.

It's kind of like a musician wondering why their songs aren't good but where they also don't research a little music theory or check out the top 50 tracks.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Algae Grower

Don't think of yourself as being "behind" other people though - unless you are literally entering aquascaping competitions, there's no reason to compare yourself to others. Like everyone is saying, there's nothing wrong with your tank the way it is, but if you want to change things up for the better then that's great.

I'd spend a lot of time looking at other tanks and figure out what elements go into the tanks that you really like. Don't feel like you need to reinvent the wheel and have a tank that is completely original - feel free to take design ideas and apply them to your own tank. I find that nice hardscape can really make a difference because it can add a focal point and different levels. Of course you can have a beautiful plant-only tank, but well chosen stone or driftwood is practically a cheat code. Maybe it's just that *I* find the plant design more difficult because it's so dynamic - you really have to know the plants well to be able to predict how they are going to grow in.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don’t think it’s a bad looking tank. Just need a more impactful hard scape. I’ve learned a lot from watching Green Aqua’s videos on YouTube.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode