Is it possible for newbies to do advanced/iwagumi/Dutch planted tanks like these?? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Quesenek
  • 1 Post By ichthyogeek
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Preeths
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it possible for newbies to do advanced/iwagumi/Dutch planted tanks like these??

I came across an Aquarium Group on Facebook (from Asia) and was shocked that many newcomers got their first tank look as stunning as these. I've been in the hobby for 3 years and of course I'm still learning, but I never got my tank to this level. I womder how they could make this so easy!

One of the friends told me those were not technically their tanks. So he told me somewhere in Asia there's service that sell the whole tank (including aquascaping, livestock, and equipment). They design the aquascape the way customers want. All you need to do is maintained the tank as instructed. That's why many of these tanks look professional. But the customers never admit they got someone to do that for them, they always claim it's their work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging, it's just what I've observed.

So I wonder, did you succeed to get to this level when you first got into the hobby?

Here's some of those tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1601241942778_1601242348947.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	903461  

Name:	FB_IMG_1601241845631_1601242384855.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	903463  

Name:	FB_IMG_1601241837974_1601242393902.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	903465  

Name:	FB_IMG_1601241758601_1601242402829.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	903467  

Name:	4c62a012ad941_1601242412864.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	903469  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageTurquoise View Post
I came across an Aquarium Group on Facebook (from Asia) and was shocked that many newcomers got their first tank look as stunning as these. I've been in the hobby for 3 years and of course I'm still learning, but I never got my tank to this level. I womder how they could make this so easy!

One of the friends told me those were not technically their tanks. So he told me somewhere in Asia there's service that sell the whole tank (including aquascaping, livestock, and equipment). They design the aquascape the way customers want. All you need to do is maintained the tank as instructed. That's why many of these tanks look professional. But the customers never admit they got someone to do that for them, they always claim it's their work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging, it's just what I've observed.

So I wonder, did you succeed to get to this level when you first got into the hobby?

Here's some of those tanks.
Short answer:
Yes. A beginner can create these scapes if they're dedicated enough to the research before creating them.

Long answer:
With the resources we have availble currently on youtube and various blogs like 2HR Aquarist if a beginner is diligent they can find information on everything they want and all it takes is purchasing the correct items the first time around instead of trying to make other solutions work to save money.
Another thing you have to consider is the location. You said these were in an Asian facebook group. Compared to other parts of the world, quality goods, plants, and hardscape are leaps and bounds easier to find. Simply having top quality, and quanity of things to use instantly brings up the tank look and feel even when completed by a beginner.
Econde, Tessa and Asteroid like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I was a beginner, all my tanks looked that clean and pretty the day that I set them up! And then the algae came. And some of the plants died. And the tank got neglected because high school is really rough.

It's certainly possible to do this as a beginner. But you'd need to put a lot of work into it to get the tank to stay that way.
Econde likes this.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Up to a certain point- aquascaping is accessible to everyone. Also, with years of experience and excellent maintenance practices, one can get to an even higher level. However, I dont believe high achievement creativity in certain areas of design/art is accessible to everyone.
You have it or you dont.
I am a very good floral designer and writer. Yet, in 20 years of being a floral designer, I did not win any competitions in floral design, nor am I a published writer.
I cannot paint or draw-- at all.
I can bake really well with a recipe-- but, I could never create a recipe.

My aquascaping looks like my very first one every time. No ADA shows for me.
Econde likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

Many things become possible with a combination of lots money and hard work.

The tanks you posted look nice, but they aren't crazy advanced and aren't going to win awards. (I don't mean that as an insult, but high level aquascaping seems crazy competitive and I've seen more than one tank that I thought was jaw dropping not rank highly in competition.) I would have a hard time believing that that was their first attempt at setting up a tank ever, but I think you could figure out how to achieve that pretty quickly if you had the resources, and some people just have a knack for arranging stuff.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Planted Member

Lots of people get professional help to setup the tanks with some one coming in every two weeks or a month to do maintenance. This type of service is not very expensive in India. Secondly if you are good at photo editing, you can remove a lot of blemishes for the aquarium. Even Photography and post processing make a world of difference.
evil8 likes this.

-Preeths
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The tanks above are very nice scapes, but not over the top IMO. They are achievable by many with the right education, dedication, access to good hardscape and yes some talent. Photo skills certainly help show the tank at it's best and are an important part of aquascaping since it is an art form and needs to be communicated as such.
Quesenek likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
The tanks above are very nice scapes, but not over the top IMO. They are achievable by many with the right education, dedication, access to good hardscape and yes some talent. Photo skills certainly help show the tank at it's best and are an important part of aquascaping since it is an art form and needs to be communicated as such.
I think that this is a really good point about aquascaping being an art form. As such some people are going to be better at creating aesthetically pleasing tanks relative to others because of the way they see the pieces of rocks, wood, plants, substrate fitting together.

However, if you look at someone like Josh Sim, his first tank wasn't exactly that good, but look at where he is now. The dedication to getting better and overcoming obstacles is all that matters, not where someone starts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode