Cat on cover-glass - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cat on cover-glass

So I've been dry for a couple years now and really want to get an aquarium going again. One problem we had with the last one was that our cat would want to jump on to the cover glass and sit there. We were always scared it would break, and so kept that tank (a 10G) in a room we could close off when we weren't there to keep an eye on things. But we never got to enjoy the aquarium very much because of that.

Not using a cover glass isnt an option: because of where we are, in the winter especially I will loose 20% of my water inside of a week to evaporation! And no, getting rid of the cat is not an option. I'd like to do the proverbial ADA 60P with their cover-glass/metal clips but I feel sure that if the cover glass doesn't break from him stepping on it, the metal clips will stress/crack the top edges of the aquarium itself with equally disastrous results.

Any thoughts?

Current aquarium(s): none. Planning my next one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 02:06 AM
Algae Grower

Can you situate the tank so there's no good approach for the cat to get to the top of the tank? I have had a cat or two that maybe would maybe jump from the floor to the top of the tank if they were *really* determined, but most wouldn't bother unless there was a better place to launch from. If you had the tank on a stand with no ledge and no nearby chairs, counters, etc. that might be enough of a deterrent.

An acrylic top would probably be less likely to break, though that wouldn't help with stress on the tank itself.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

Just get glass cut thats thicker. Its cheap.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Keep in mind that water is around 4-5 pounds/gallon. So a 10 gallon tank is at least 40-50 pounds when filled (not including equipment, substrate, fish, light, heater, etc.).

My question, is how heavy is your cat????? If it's heavy enough for you to be scared about it breaking the glass, then that sounds like an incredibly heavy cat...unless its name is Garfield and either you or your partner's name is Jon.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Back in the day (2003ish), I had a 10 gallon that I covered with a piece of 1/4" scrap acrylic that I had and cut to size. My cat would routinely sit on that with out problem. She'd even sit with her back end on top of the tank and her front paws in front of it, twisted around to look in the tank. It was quite comical.

Another approach would be to arrange it with lights, filter, etc so that there isn't much of a remaining flat surface for the cat to perch on.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 04:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
Keep in mind that water is around 4-5 pounds/gallon. So a 10 gallon tank is at least 40-50 pounds when filled (not including equipment, substrate, fish, light, heater, etc.).

My question, is how heavy is your cat????? If it's heavy enough for you to be scared about it breaking the glass, then that sounds like an incredibly heavy cat...unless its name is Garfield and either you or your partner's name is Jon.
Water is ~8.3 lbs/gallon, but that doesn't mean that the tank can withstand the repeated impact of the cat jumping on and off the lid. I mean, maybe it could, but you wouldn't want to be wrong and wreck your fancy rimless tank.

I have a 6 pound cat and a 17+ pound cat and thank goodness only the tiny one occasionally stands on my quarantine tank. The lid is black plastic and the tank is rimmed - I really don't think she can do any damage, but I'd be a bit nervous if it was my big boy. (FWIW he's not fat, just a giant. He has normal proportions, but is just extra tall and long - it's a bit strange.)
ichthyogeek and Econde like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. No hes not particularly heavy. On the light side for cats actually at <10lb. I just dont know what the tolerances are for this stuff.

The acrylic top is a good idea, but I'm still thinking that those tiny ADA metal clips are still going to be "pressure points" on the top edges of the aquarium proper...

Current aquarium(s): none. Planning my next one.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

leave the cover off , pick up cat, dip its feet in the tank, it wont jump on there after that unless you have one of those broken cats born without the hydrophobic gene..
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
Water is ~8.3 lbs/gallon, but that doesn't mean that the tank can withstand the repeated impact of the cat jumping on and off the lid. I mean, maybe it could, but you wouldn't want to be wrong and wreck your fancy rimless tank.

I have a 6 pound cat and a 17+ pound cat and thank goodness only the tiny one occasionally stands on my quarantine tank. The lid is black plastic and the tank is rimmed - I really don't think she can do any damage, but I'd be a bit nervous if it was my big boy. (FWIW he's not fat, just a giant. He has normal proportions, but is just extra tall and long - it's a bit strange.)
Oops, that's my bad. Elle's got the right pounds/gallon for water. Please blame sleepy ichthyogeek for the 4-5 pound metric.

For a <10 pound cat, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Then again, I don't have a cat...but you could also email ADA and ask "hey, what weight can the tank glass hold? I have a cat."

Maybe you could negatively associate the tank? Something like a spray bottle whenever the cat tries to jump on the tank lid?
ElleDee likes this.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
My 3 cats sit on my glass topped tanks daily. They are between 11-12 lbs. No issues yet.
Econde likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SardinePatheNews View Post
leave the cover off , pick up cat, dip its feet in the tank, it wont jump on there after that unless you have one of those broken cats born without the hydrophobic gene.. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>
This could definitely be an effective deterrent.

We just got a 150G livestock tank setup in our basement. Our one cat who has to climb on literally everything decided to climb around on the very narrow slippery edge of the tank. One day I'm sitting at the computer and hear a loud splash. Sure enough he slipped and his whole hind end fell in the tank. Hasn't climbed back up there since.

He still thinks the sump is one of those fancy circulating water dishes just for him. But I can live with that LOL.
deeda and Econde like this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I reached out to AngleFins with this question. She was pretty clear: the little ADA metal clips are not going to support any weight to speak of. Her suggestion was a cover glass which extends over the edges, which would be very doable. I just wonder if that will create a new concern: condensation on the bottom of the cover glass wicking out and down the outside of the aquarium.

This cat is not making things easy for me. lol
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 06:12 PM
Algae Grower

You will probably need a thick smear of silicon on the lid where it will rest on the tank edges to soak up any irregularity/grit that may stray between them, you could also run a bead about half inch away from the edges to ensure most condensation will drip before reaching the edges.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I deter my cat by putting a piece of aluminum foil on whatever surface I don't want her to jump on. Only takes one time and she will avoid it!!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Soooooo I would try training him to not think of it as a surface to sit on so he would just stop trying completely.

I'd fill it up with water - and leave the top off and let him learn that when he jumps on it he lands in water and he'd only need to do that once or twice to likely cure his desire to see it as a perch.
Bandit1200 and Econde like this.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode