350G Best plants for a tall tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bunsen Honeydew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
350G Best plants for a tall tank?

Hello, I have a 350 gallon planted tank that I've been struggling to fill with plants vertically, I'm trying to get a jungle look but it's hard because it's such a big tank. It's 8 foot long by 30 inches in depth and 30 inches in height. I'm looking for easier /low tech plants that grow tall, or just really big in general. My current plants only go up halfway the tank and I really don't like that look. I currently have amazon swords, water sprite, water wisteria, and some anubias. I also have some jungle val but the tallest one is like 4 inches, it's shot dozens of runners but no increase in height. Lighting is 4, 48 inch nicrew full spectrum planted tank lights. I do not dose fertilizers, but I plan to start dosing because my plant growth has been pathetic lol. I do however use root tabs. I've also been struggling with a fuzzy gray/ greenish hair algae on my plants but hopefully it'll go down as I manually remove it ( pain in such a big tank), and increase my plant's health. Any suggestions on plants greatly appreciated. Thank you
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200707_153610_1600737366389.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	903159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 03:52 AM
Planted Member

Yea, 30" tall tanks are tough to work on and as you've found out most the work is at substrate level. From your pic it looks like you dont have much depth in your substrate, you could add more so you can reach the bottom a little easier.

Check out Leopard Vallesneria. They definately will fill a portion of your tank and look nice; they'll fit with your current scape too. Of course stem plants but youll need high light and CO2; with a tank that size you could try high light over just a section. Either way, you have to fertilize or you're not going to get much growth.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Following this thread. I'm in a similar situation. 180g though.

One plant that is really good is Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'. It grows tall and bushy, not just stringy tall.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboy1021 View Post
Following this thread. I'm in a similar situation. 180g though.

One plant that is really good is Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'. It grows tall and bushy, not just stringy tall.
Hygrophila Augustifolia is another one. Grows fast and tall.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have Crypt Balansae, corkscrew and leopard val, ludwigia repens (arcuata and ovalis) and rotala in my low tech 210 (30" tall).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef and Bettatail like this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:28 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Leopard Val will certainly get you to the top. Most stems are likely to as well, but lower parts may lose growth as they reach the light.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
I have Crypt Balansae, corkscrew and leopard val, ludwigia repens (arcuata and ovalis) and rotala in my low tech 210 (30" tall).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oh man, your tank looks so grown in! great job with filling it all out

I also like the balance of filling the forefront with shorter plants, then the mid front with the plants that you have and then having the background be something that reaches up. I think those 3 layers give the tank a sense of depth vs just filling it with tall plants. great job and a good example to follow

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
oh man, your tank looks so grown in! great job with filling it all out

I also like the balance of filling the forefront with shorter plants, then the mid front with the plants that you have and then having the background be something that reaches up. I think those 3 layers give the tank a sense of depth vs just filling it with tall plants. great job and a good example to follow
Thanks, it needs some attention soon. Not all the tall plants like to stay where you put them. Both Vals are threatening to take over, and the Ludwigia is getting bushy up top. As was said further up, most stems will get tall, but they will get top heavy.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode