LFS - Concealed Aquarium Filter for 10 Gallon Aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
LFS - Concealed Aquarium Filter for 10 Gallon Aquascape

Looking for a suggest for a low profile aquarium filter for a 10 gallon dutch style aquascape. I'd like it concealed for aesthetics, but also to not have a pipe and disrupting the back wall of plants or a shelf that blocks some of the light from reaching the plants.

I know most people go with a canister filter in larger setups, so the options are a bit less at this size. Currently looking at this one.

Zoo Med Nano 10 External Canister Filter, up to 10 Gallons

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So...it can't be in the tank....and it can't have anything coming out of the tank/going into the tank? Sounds like a very tall (read: impossible) order my friend.

A canister filter's still going to have a pipe going into the tank. In the case of a canister filter, it's going to have two pipes. Two!!!!

What is the goal of your filter going to be: mechanical filtration? chemical filtration? water movement? Those will all affect your end goal. A canister filter will affect all three, since it will mechanically filter out detritus, and you can add chemical filtration, and position the return pipe so that it makes water movement.

A sponge filter can provide mechanical filtration and water movement, and if done correctly, can be successfully concealed by dense plant growth. Adding in a powerhead instead of air will help with more directed water movement.

A box filter can function the same as a sponge filter, and you can also have a compartment for chemical filtration as well.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm not really looking for something that has no tubes. Just something with a lower footprint and the tank in general. Currently my Carolina bacopa is in the back right corner of my aquarium while a thin section of pearlweed is in the back left corner. My hob has it's intake built under the left side of the filter which means even if I shove it all the way to the back right corner the intake is still pressed into some rotala. I'd like to have a bit more manipulation with where I put the intake then my current filter offers. Also having an issue with detritus in the tank that I think is contributing to algae. I think it's because it's tough to pack it small hang on back filter with both filter floss and purigen.

When you use a canister filter, does the intake valve need to be at the bottom of the tank or could it be placed more toward the middle or top the tank as well? Wondering if it affects the circulation. Also the canister filter you should have plenty of room for mechanical chemical and polishing filtration correct?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah410 View Post
I'm not really looking for something that has no tubes. Just something with a lower footprint and the tank in general. Currently my Carolina bacopa is in the back right corner of my aquarium while a thin section of pearlweed is in the back left corner. My hob has it's intake built under the left side of the filter which means even if I shove it all the way to the back right corner the intake is still pressed into some rotala. I'd like to have a bit more manipulation with where I put the intake then my current filter offers. Also having an issue with detritus in the tank that I think is contributing to algae. I think it's because it's tough to pack it small hang on back filter with both filter floss and purigen.

When you use a canister filter, does the intake valve need to be at the bottom of the tank or could it be placed more toward the middle or top the tank as well? Wondering if it affects the circulation. Also the canister filter you should have plenty of room for mechanical chemical and polishing filtration correct?
I have an 8.6 gallon tank with an Oase Thermo Filtosmart canister filter. It has a heater built in so I don't have to deal with that in tank. I bought a small ball valve with built in barbs and then put that on the output. This allows me to tune the flow to my desired level as the filter by itself is WAY overpowered for this sized tank. There is no reason you can't do this with any canister filter you care to buy though easier to use it on the smallest one you can find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I absolutely love my Dennerle Corner Filter that is in my 5.4 gallon. It is very slim and has a back that fits into the corner glass. I dont see the filter at all because plant growth conceals it. I can show a picture of it in my tank if you like.

Amy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I absolutely love my Dennerle Corner Filter that is in my 5.4 gallon. It is very slim and has a back that fits into the corner glass. I dont see the filter at all because plant growth conceals it. I can show a picture of it in my tank if you like.
Sure I'd love to see it!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
LFS - Concealed Aquarium Filter for 10 Gallon Aquascape

The first picture is when I first set up tank. You can see the filter on the right. The second is tonight. Too much growth- need to trim

Edit: The photos loaded with latest first and first last. But, thatís pretty obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tbakes likes this.

Amy

Tags
dutch, filter, lfs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode