• 1 Post By Oughtsix
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should I Remove The Cartridge System?

Hi everyone!
Today I found an old fishtank in my grandparents garage! It's an AquaOne XPression 17L and it has a cartridge system. I would have to clean out the area meant for the cartridges and then go purchase all the missing pieces (thankfully there's a list inside the tank) so I was wondering if I should just gut it and then just buy my own filter. I'm not 100% sure if this would be better and I'm worried about damaging the tank so I wanted to see what other people think. Also, if I do remove it, what would be the best method?

Photos of the tank here:

https://freeimage.host/i/d8Bf9a

https://freeimage.host/i/d8BBwv

https://freeimage.host/i/d8BqAJ

(it's not letting me attach them properly)

Last edited by cykeclops; 08-23-2020 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Images wont attach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Personally I would keep the system intact as long as it meets 3 conditions:

1. The pump still works adequately
2. The overall filtration is adequate
3. The filter cartridges are available and cheap

Replacing it with something else if those things are ok would just be a waste of time and money. #3 is the easiest workaround depending on how DIY you are and how the internal setup is. I buy filter media in bulk and make my own replacements.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
Personally I would keep the system intact as long as it meets 3 conditions:

1. The pump still works adequately
2. The overall filtration is adequate
3. The filter cartridges are available and cheap
The entirety of the inside filter is gone (and there are some small plants growing in there too) so I'd have to buy and replace everything in order to test how adequate the filtration is and if it even works when I replace the parts. I was mainly asking because I was worried gutting it might wreck/break the whole tank so I wanted to be 100% sure. Thanks for your advice : )

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would definitely keep it. Now if the pump is missing, there are replacements online like amazon. You can do whatever filter media you'd like in there. Sponges, biomedia etc. You wouldn't have to get the exact replacements. That to me would be the easiest way then trying to remove it. Also I'd assume you can tuck a heater in there if needed.
deeda, PlantedRich and someoldguy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Even if the pump has to be replaced, I would leave the filter chamber intact and DIY something. I'm trying to figure out how to get a chamber like that in one of my tanks. Even if you used nothing but a small pump and a piece of foam, you would be doing great. It looks like the hardest part would be trying to control the output of the pump. You could make a spraybar or you may be able to find something in the appropriate size to just stick in that hole.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Aquari.../dp/B00R1J67FA
deeda likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you both for your help! : )
You stopped me making any rash decisions and removing the whole system. I'm going to clean out the plants and start working on fixing the pump and everything soon.
Econde likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 07:19 PM
Planted Member

My first thought is to agree with the other respondents; keep it in tact and fill it with bio media (in a bag) or floss. BUT if it is not going to be easy to maintain when filled with floss and especially biomedia I would remove it!

To me if a filter setup isn't easy to maintain it is worthless!
Econde likes this.

Last edited by Oughtsix; 08-26-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarification
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Much depends on how the tank will be used and part of that is your understanding what a filter does, so that you can make better decisions on what you are more likely to need. We often get to involved with using the designs filter folks put out but they don't know what we might do either, so it fits better if WE make that decision.
Most of us get the idea of mechanical and "straining" the debris out of the water so it is hidden in the filter where we clean it out and we don't see it! Bio is a bit harder to figure as how much bio filter media we need and depends on what fish, home many and what type and size as well as how much water we change. Even how long the tank has been up changes how much bacteria is in the filter versus all over everything else like walls, plants, etc.
An old tank with lots of slick feeling on almost all surfaces means we don't really need to pack a filter with good stuff for bacteria to grow on as it's already all over things!
Chemical like charcoal? Most of us lay it back as too messy and too not needed!
An 8 inch pleco may need a big mechanical just to clear his "dailly deposit" while a half dozen neon tetra and lots of plants may just need something really easy to swish out once in a while!
So look it over and decide, do you need lots of straining for debris or lots more of converting ammonia/ nitrite? A filter box of that sort leaves lots of options so I would likely keep it.
Bandit1200 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode