Finally having success - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Finally having success

Hello all. So after a long time in the planted tank game, I find myself finally having success recently. I have had many tanks. In the majority of them, the plants never did anything or just turned to mush. Or both. But in my current tank, they are actually growing. Albeit slowly. My setup is a 33 long with plain caribsea sand around 1.5-2 inches in depth and a finnex stingray fixture. In my tank, I have rotala indica, crypt wendtii, parva and balansae, water sprite, madagascar lace plant and an amazon sword. I have seachem root tabs in the substrate and a couple times a week I do a few capfuls of seachem flourish and iron. In my previous tanks, I never did any dosing or anything like that. Just used eco complete, flourite, etc.

Could this be why I'm finally having success? That also coupled with my tank being so short for better light penetration even though my light isnt very strong. I have never done a tank this short before. Also... I have all guppies in the tank... They poop a LOT. Possibly adding to the ferts?

Years ago, I had a 56 tall, and I had really good success with it. Grew lots of crypts and rotala. But, I had eco complete and was dosing seachem I think. I havent done that since then until now.
What do you gather of this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200819_194620_1597881648855.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	902221  

Name:	20200819_194720_1597881665151.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	902223  

Name:	20200819_194658_1597881686919.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	902225  

Greggz, Econde, Hujeta and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Hello all. So after a long time in the planted tank game, I find myself finally having success recently.

Tank looks great! Love the panoramic dimensions of those long tanks with such length to watch the fishies to do laps back and forth. Time to start dropping hints to wife I think.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks! I am not the best aquascaper though. I just throw stuff where I think it looks good. I know there's supposed to be techniques and patterns in which to arrange plants and all that... But I just don't care lol

It is definitely an enjoyable tank for sure! I lot of people on here love the 40B, but in my opinion, I would rather have a super long shallow tank. Especially if you have schooling fish. But that's just me.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

These crypts are planted too deep.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I just throw stuff where I think it looks good.
Isn't that the basis of all "art"? Keep throwing!

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I just throw stuff where I think it looks good.
Isn't that the basis of all "art"? Keep throwing! :-)[/QUOTE]

I suppose so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post

These crypts are planted too deep.
Well I havent had a problem so far? They have both sprouted new leaves. Sometimes my sand gets blown around in that area

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-20-2020 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well I havent had a problem so far? They have both sprouted new leaves. Sometimes my sand gets blown around in that area
As you were then!

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
As you were then!
Honestly, given that supposedly crypt parva is extremely slow growing, I was quite surprised to see them sprouting new leaves within the first two weeks!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Honestly, given that supposedly crypt parva is extremely slow growing, I was quite surprised to see them sprouting new leaves within the first two weeks!
All those crypts in the pic are too deep. They will eventually die. BTW: I don't believe that is parva.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's what it was sold to me as, parva. Had the tag in it too in the pot.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Where did you get them? It doesn't look like parva it looks more like Crypt Lucens, but since most of the plant (lol) is buried I can't be 100% sure.

Bump: Are those the original leaves? other than the new one. I guess maybe it's the emersed form, they look to big to be parva. It also looks like there's some color other than green on them, which is more typical of lucens.
Greggz likes this.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I got them at Petco. I suppose it could be Lucens. And yes, none of the plant has melted. The few leaves in the middle are newer ones.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 05:43 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
You don't want to bury the rhizome. I get that they seem to be doing well for you but they are objectively planted too deep.
Asteroid and j_iffy like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I got them at Petco. I suppose it could be Lucens. And yes, none of the plant has melted. The few leaves in the middle are newer ones.
Wouldn't be surprised if they are mislabeled, many things are at the big box. I have Eleocharis parvula from petsmart that is 10" tall. I have Amano shrimp from Petco that don't look anything like Amano shrimp. Would also explain the quicker growth, but then again I could be wrong.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks! I am not the best aquascaper though. I just throw stuff where I think it looks good. I know there's supposed to be techniques and patterns in which to arrange plants and all that... But I just don't care lol
A long time ago, I took an evening course in landscape design (for residences). One of the techniques taught was to take a piece of paper and draw circles, randomly, in the area you wish to landscape. Then, wherever multiple circles intersect, you plant trees/shrubs of your choosing. I've since applied this to my tanks and it works quite well, but is not at all similar to the structured designs of award-winning tanks. Satisfy yourself or you will look like everybody else.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode