Finally having success - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
A long time ago, I took an evening course in landscape design (for residences). One of the techniques taught was to take a piece of paper and draw circles, randomly, in the area you wish to landscape. Then, wherever multiple circles intersect, you plant trees/shrubs of your choosing. I've since applied this to my tanks and it works quite well, but is not at all similar to the structured designs of award-winning tanks. Satisfy yourself or you will look like everybody else.
Sounds interesting, care to show how you applied those techniques? It might be beneficial to others.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What are the dimensions of your tank ? I have a 30 long , but it does not look that long . Maybe it is the angle you took the pic .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 02:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Hello all. So after a long time in the planted tank game, I find myself finally having success recently. I have had many tanks. In the majority of them, the plants never did anything or just turned to mush. Or both. But in my current tank, they are actually growing. Albeit slowly. My setup is a 33 long with plain caribsea sand around 1.5-2 inches in depth and a finnex stingray fixture. In my tank, I have rotala indica, crypt wendtii, parva and balansae, water sprite, madagascar lace plant and an amazon sword. I have seachem root tabs in the substrate and a couple times a week I do a few capfuls of seachem flourish and iron. In my previous tanks, I never did any dosing or anything like that. Just used eco complete, flourite, etc.
I really like the dimensions. I would rather go long than high. More room for the fish to swim...

Any chance you could measure an post them?

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
What are the dimensions of your tank ? I have a 30 long , but it does not look that long . Maybe it is the angle you took the pic .
My 33 long is 48x13x12. Basically a 55 gallon that is super short. 30 gallon long tanks are 36x12x16. So that is correct, not as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
I really like the dimensions. I would rather go long than high. More room for the fish to swim...

Any chance you could measure an post them?
Yes, I really enjoy having a super long tank. I used to have a 40 breeder before this. And though it was a nice tank, I found in my personal experience, having a longer tank is much more enjoyable to watch smaller schooling fish in.
mourip likes this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that the balansae will outgrow your tank. I have a few in my 210 and I think that they will soon outgrow that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thats what trimming is for

Last edited by Blackheart; 08-21-2020 at 04:56 PM. Reason: no
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
[QUOTE=Blackheart;11365347]My 33 long is 48x13x12. Basically a 55 gallon that is super short. 30 gallon long tanks are 36x12x16. So that is correct, not as long.

Thanks . I really like that tank . The extra foot makes a big difference . Never saw one around here .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

They are generally a special order tank. I am lucky that the LFS that I frequent carries them in stock all the time.
Leeatl likes this.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Sounds interesting, care to show how you applied those techniques? It might be beneficial to others.
Here is picture of the concept. Again, it is intended to deliver a randomized placement map. This is a very quick-and-dirty job. I put little effort or thought into it, but it conveys the idea. In practice, I would place more emphasis toward the back and back corners.

First, you draw the overlapping circles. The circles are small to large and it even helps to close your eyes while drawing them. Then, fill in (blackened areas) where you can identify multiple intersections of the circles. I then roughed-in the tank outline where it seemed that the best fit was.

Next, I plant in groups of 2-3 (stems, in my case) and I pay attention to the triangular facing of the darkened intersections.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I might have missed someone else noticing it, but it looks like you have some BBA going on along the edges of those crypts also.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Here is picture of the concept. Again, it is intended to deliver a randomized placement map. This is a very quick-and-dirty job. I put little effort or thought into it, but it conveys the idea. In practice, I would place more emphasis toward the back and back corners.

First, you draw the overlapping circles. The circles are small to large and it even helps to close your eyes while drawing them. Then, fill in (blackened areas) where you can identify multiple intersections of the circles. I then roughed-in the tank outline where it seemed that the best fit was.

Next, I plant in groups of 2-3 (stems, in my case) and I pay attention to the triangular facing of the darkened intersections.
Ok, you definitely have my interest, now you have to show how you applied it in the planted tank world.

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I might have missed someone else noticing it, but it looks like you have some BBA going on along the edges of those crypts also.
LOL, I noticed that too, but I already mentioned that they were planted too deep and I didn't think they were Parva so I didn't want to pile it on, too much,

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Meh. They were purchased like that. Doesnt bother me if it doesnt get any worse.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Ok, you definitely have my interest, now you have to show how you applied it in the planted tank world.
This is something you'll have to judge according to your preferences. There are too many variables: tank size, plant type, number of plantings, etc. Example; one stem may be all that is desired in one of the locations or multiple ground cover plantings in another. What I showed may be too busy for some or some may not want anything toward the front.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

On another note... My Amazon sword sprouted a new leaf. This is a first for me. I have never, ever been able to get amazon swords to grow or do anything other than just sit there. Wonder if it's from dosing the iron weekly? I heard swords like heavy iron content.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode