Newbie - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey guys so I’ve been keeping aquariums for 10 years but am a total newb when it comes to planted tanks. So I set up a 9 gallon fluval flex with a fluval nano led plant light and seachem fluorite black. Stocked it with Anubis nana java fern rosette sword and s repens. I was gonna do more research but wife had already purchased plants and I didn’t want to disappoint her. Anyway is this a good setup I’m not running co2 and she also bought fluval gro + fertilizer how do I use that? Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Seeing as no one publicly responded, I can give it a go.

I think that sounds like a nice little tank! The only plant of the list you mentioned I think might struggle is the staurogyne repens (though I'm not very familiar with the sword). I know they can be grown in low tech, but my impression was they like higher light and CO2. So they may grow, just might stretch out more vertically than they otherwise would with different conditions. In general anubias, java fern, and mosses are really great starter plants as they're slow growing and don't demand too much. If you are on the hunt for a stem plant there's plenty of rotala species that can tolerate low tech setups like rotala rotundafolia. Keep in mind these will probably be green, not red like many species can be. I know there are plenty of other plants as well, but I mostly have had high tech setups so am less familiar with them.

I've never used the fluval products, but just gotta follow the instructions on the bottle I guess. I've had success with the liquid nutrients from Seachem and NilocG (the latter of which makes Thrive C which is supposedly formulated for low tech tanks). Another one to look into is Seachem Flourish Excel, I know it has helped a great many aquarist to control algae and help plant growth in low and high tech tanks.

But yeah, definitely do lots of research on here or youtube and what-not. Important things for plant growth are nutrients (water column and soil/substrate), light, and water circulation (which helps with nutrient distribution and gas exchange), so the better you understand these factors and the limitations of your setup, the more successful you can be. Just remember as well that in a smaller tank, water changes are more important because small mistakes add up quickly in a small volume. So doing them regularly is important, especially as you add animals to it you don't want to lose any.

Anyway, welcome to the community and I hope you can find lots of good information on here to make your first planted tank fun and successful!

Latest tank setup July 2020
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode