1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishnovice33

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quarantine Tank Question

Hi!

I have planted 75 gallon tank that I'd like to add some more fish to, probably Rainbow Fish. I've never used a quarantine tank for new fish before, but figured better safe than sorry. I set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I had been running a sponge filter in the 75 gallon for about a month (I had in on a timer so when the CO2 was off, the air was on to the sponge filter). I moved the sponge filter to the 10 gallon about 1 week ago to cycle it. How do I know it's cycled properly to add fish? I tested the water today...
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Thank You!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:39 PM
Planted Member

Ammonia is the beginning of the cycle. You want all three readings at zero, or, for Nitrate, whatever your source water is. Nitrate should go up and then settle back down. Make sure your tests haven’t expired!

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Yep ammonia is the first step.
Ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates. You’ll want to wait until you have no ammonia and no nitrites. When nitrates are minimal, you can add plants and fish which help. The goal is to eventually get some beneficial bacteria going. Algae is a good sign (at first). Add fish slowly. There are other additives to get your tank and bacteria going, there’s a lot out there to choose from.

Beware of spikes of ammonia with the addition of fish and the best way to combat this is to stay on top of your water changes. Especially for a 10G.

Keep doing weekly water changes, don’t clean out the filter, and water test often. Should be good to go with plants around 3 weeks and I’d wait another 2-3 weeks after that to add fish.

If you’re using additives you should be good to go for fish in 3-4 weeks I’d imagine.
Discusluv likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice.....I was under the impression that using a sponge filter that has been in my established tank would make it much quicker?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 04:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennation View Post
Thanks for the advice.....I was under the impression that using a sponge filter that has been in my established tank would make it much quicker?
I wouldn’t say ‘much quicker’ but quicker. Just keep testing the water, parameters will tell you when it’s ready. The longer you wait and filter the better. No sense in killing fish due to not being patient.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode