LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I Grant,

First of all, thanks for the tons of advises and your precious time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woltergrant View Post

Next I want to clear up the timeline here and also ask you some questions...?is picture 1 before—two months ago when the gsa appeared on your plants and you took out affected plants and all hardscape— and pic 4 now— two months later from your clean out?

Picture 1 was the climax of my tank. I found it perfect. It was on may 15. Pic 4 is now. I made this big clean out about 1 week ago. I don't have a picture of the covered plants, but GSA was on each leafs (almost). This is why I removed my stauro and hygro. The were fine except that (was growing well), but my local store told me to remove everything that was covered. I trimmed my Monte Carlo to remove GSA on it, but it is reappear now. Also, I didn't like the look of my hydro (see picture 3) with all the stems.

Quote:
The hygro exposed roots and Ariel roots have to go. Either burry them or trim them back. This was asking for gsa, they cover them first and often.

I was not able to reach them because of my hardscape ! I'll replace that plant with a non-stem background plant.

Quote:
cleaning off white egg dots once a week with your maintenance is better and quicker than algae!

We can clean them ?! They seems to be imposible to remove haha.

Quote:
Don’t get a small pleco even though they are awesome and also machines because they have loads of waist and your bioload is already risky for the moment.

Oups I add one 2 weeks ago ...

Quote:

next try bringing your light down ten percent but adding three more hours. Yes that’s right, because you have Monte Carlo which is a huge light hog. But also make your ramp over three Hours up and three down instead of one. That will help and let you maximize time while minimizing negative affect. Its another thing that will help with the algea as long as there is strong co2.

So 45% of input. Will I increase it later ?

Quote:
so your co2... what diffuser are you using? where is it? What’s your bubble count? Probably can and should be higher. Barely see any co2 micro bubbles in any of your pics. If lights are on always co2 on and start it two hours before your ramp up. It could totally be that is all this was; simply co2 related algea. Either too much or too little. Hard to say but start with a gradual** decent increase and test its limits watching your fish closely because they are the real drop checker. Then see if they are gulping for air heavily then cut back. Also see if that causes algae to fade or get worse. If worse, go the other way and cut back from where you were. That’s the key, it takes trial and error and most importantly time!

I'm using seachem pollen style 15mm. It is at the back (left) just above the bottom grill. About 1 bubble per second. I aim for a 1 pH drop during the day. Co2 start at 9h00 AM and light at 11h00 AM.

Quote:
next your temp, Slowly over a week bring your temp down further to 75 to start with and see if it’s okay for a week or if your fish need it back up or will let you go down to 74. They should be fine and this will help.

This is not too cold ?!

Quote:

Also, what are your parameters? What is your gh? What water are you filling your tank with? What is it’s tds? What is your Ph? After completing the three weeks of more perodic wc...do a 50% once a week religiously and all I dose that day is excel.

I never check my GH. I did it once and it was at around 9 dGh. Filling with tap water + prime. Don't know about dissolved solid. 7.5 pH morning and 6.5 pH in evening.

I'll go to my local store see what can I do to upgrade my filter and pump + buy moore plants.

Should I continue dosing Iron, potassium, phosphate, etc ?

Thanks !

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I'm about to quit this hobby. Don't know how you do guys...

Following all the tips, aquarium getting more and more worst. Now I'm stuck with BBA (with GSA) and a weird greasy and foamy film on top of water (still with a good surface agitation!).

I must have spend almost 1500$ in this aquarium +100hrs in the last months (3 hrs per weeks just for cleaning and water testing) . Don't have money and time to continue at this rhythm.

Thanks for all the information! I tip my hat to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_205557_1595898215308.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	901487  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200727_205703_1595898225858.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	901489  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode