Converting a planted aquarium to a terrarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Converting a planted aquarium to a terrarium?

Has anyone ever tried to convert a planted aquarium into a terrarium? I have a 6 gallon Eheim planted that no longer houses any fish but has a lot of plants in it. I am thinking of siphoning an inch of water out daily and converting it into a terrarium. Would the plants completely melt? The aquarium has simple plants in it - A lot of Crypts, Anubias, Java Fern and Buce. Substrate is Eco-Complete. If anyone has any experience or input - I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Wait, you're trying to keep those plants in a terrarium setup? If so, then you'd need some saran wrap to keep the moisture in. I turned my little 2.5 aquascape into a terrarium but I didn't use any aquarium plants.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBetta View Post
Has anyone ever tried to convert a planted aquarium into a terrarium? I have a 6 gallon Eheim planted that no longer houses any fish but has a lot of plants in it. I am thinking of siphoning an inch of water out daily and converting it into a terrarium. Would the plants completely melt? The aquarium has simple plants in it - A lot of Crypts, Anubias, Java Fern and Buce. Substrate is Eco-Complete. If anyone has any experience or input - I would appreciate it. Thanks!
I never tried, never thought about it, never heard about, however, i would take all the water at once but, like a swamp, leave the substrate completely wet with 1cm of water above it for now, see how plants react but you would have to have some type of moisture if you take the water 100% out of the tank.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I would like to keep the plants in the aquarium - they are already rooted and established. The Eheim tank has a glass lid with very minimal air escaping. Do you think I should use saran wrap just to be safe?

Last edited by HockeyBetta; 07-09-2020 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Providing more information.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBetta View Post
The Eheim tank has a glass lid with very minimal air escaping. Do you think I should use saran wrap just to be safe?
Should work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

All of the plants you mentioned are used in vivariums so yes it will work. I agree you need a lid. Ideally you want humidity in there somewhere in the high 70s to mid 80 percentile. More then that and your glass will get so much condensation that you won't be able to see your plants. Folks using aquariums as viviariums frequently employ small computer fans on timers so their glass will have less condensation and their plants get some air movement. Since you are using an existing aquarium your substrate should have lots of nutrients left in it from fish poop etc. If this were a clean tank with brand new substrate you would also need to add fertilizer. As it stands you should add something to your misting water anyway so your epiphytes can get what they need.

I would not leave any standing water on the surface of the substrate though. That water will be subject to all of the same problems that any unfiltered water in an aquarium has. In other words you would be inviting algae and with nothing to clean it either. Fortunately you can simply drain the water to just below the surface of the substrate and avoid that issue. Since most of the plants you mentioned are epiphytes you will also need to mist these plants at least once a day and probably more in the weeks after you drain the water. A few squirts from a hand or pump sprayer will work fine for this.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode