• 1 Post By Leeatl
  • 1 Post By Somefishguy
  • 1 Post By Leeatl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Water changes

How do you guys do water changes? In the past, I have done water changes through both the python water changing system and the bucket method... Recently, we had a newer sink setup put in and it's not possible at the moment to connect my python to it... or anything else in the house. I may have to do bucket style again. A long time ago, when I used to do it bucket style, I used to put the new, clean water in a huge tub, throw in a heater and some prime and let it sit for awhile. Then when it matched the temp of the tank, I would do the water change and swap them out.

How do you guys do your water changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 01:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Syphon water out the window. RO water stored in basement pumped up through the floor/wall into tank
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:13 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I generally use a Python to drain. A couple of fish tanks get refilled the same way with straight dechlorinated tap. Others with more sensitive livestock get either aged tap or remineralized RO pumped back into them. Every time I've gotten a new faucet in the last many years, it's been a challenge adapting it to fit a Python but so far I've managed to.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Take as many fittings as you want to connect to a "Mom - Pop" type of hardware store like Ace and I bet they have what you need to adapt .
victorusaconte likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (72/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I've killed livestock by not doing a temperature matching to the tank water so many times.

I realized it was worth the money and the effort to invest in a quick way to do water changes. I have been able to tap into the cold water side of my washing machine and run a line to a 20g rubbermaid where I heat the water and use Prime since I have Chloramines.
I attached a T to the inlet of the filter and suck out the water to the regular level for a 15g change and use a small pump from the rubbermaid to fill the tank back up. It takes about 30 mins to do the full water change but the tank has never been so stable so I think it is worth the investment

For the new sink issue, I would echo the statement to go get fittings and rehooking the python back up. You can also go under the sink and put a T directly into the water line from the wall to the faucet and try and run it from there.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Take as many fittings as you want to connect to a "Mom - Pop" type of hardware store like Ace and I bet they have what you need to adapt .
That's not the issue. The issue is the connection I normally use is not good and has become stripped and have no idea to replace it. Going to the store for something like that right isn't really a priority. So bucket changes it is.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:36 AM
Algae Grower

If you don't have to vacuum any gravel, just put a hose on a pump and drop it in the tank and turn it on. Set it at the height that you want it to stop and you will hear when it starts sucking air. To put the water back, reverse the pump and put it in a 5 gallon bucket in the sink and keep the water flowing.
GraphicGr8s likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your choice , but I would replace the faucet before I would go back to buckets . I am too old for that....lol
doug105! likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I make sure to place tanks now somewhere that they will have access to a drain and water supply. Ounce of prevention...

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Your choice , but I would replace the faucet before I would go back to buckets . I am too old for that....lol
Luckily, the tank is only is only 12 inches tall so not very tall. So easier to reach into.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
How do you guys do water changes? In the past, I have done water changes through both the python water changing system and the bucket method... Recently, we had a newer sink setup put in and it's not possible at the moment to connect my python to it... or anything else in the house. I may have to do bucket style again. A long time ago, when I used to do it bucket style, I used to put the new, clean water in a huge tub, throw in a heater and some prime and let it sit for awhile. Then when it matched the temp of the tank, I would do the water change and swap them out.

How do you guys do your water changes?
I love to use Python to drain. This one is comfortable for me to do. Although it is a bit of challenging. But I love to do it anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode