(ideal) position for inflow and outflow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
(ideal) position for inflow and outflow?

Hi team,

So still working on my tank stand and have come to a point where I have to make a decision.In my imagination my tank is in the middle of the bench and there is an opening in the timber on one side for the outflow pipe and there is an opening in the bench on the other side for the inflow- so the current runs in one direction Right to Left. Looking online however I see a lot of aquascapers having the inflow and outflow in the same position on the tank.So in that case the current flows to the end of the tank, gets turned around and comes back on the other side. Do you guys have a preference? How do you set up your lily pipes on your tanks?
I have done some looking online and here for an answer but there is nothing definitive.. so just asking what you prefer and why

Thanks and have a great day

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

How big and how deep the tank is will determine position and how many inputs and outputs you can get away with. Usually once you get up to say a 40B size tanks and above 1 return nozzle not going to cut it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is long shallow 900x400x200 mm 72 litres. Filter is Eheim ecco 130.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The length of tank will be problematic with only one return nozzle, you got probably around 6-7x turnover of tank realistically with that filter, which is plenty. Pump is rated a 600l/hr, realistically depending on how you pack media and head height/length of hose it has to push against figure 500l/hr or slightly less moving in and out of tank. If your using inline co2 reactors and/or heaters knock another 10% off that.

I’d split canister output to a Y and set it up as 2 returns to tank, one at back right wall blowing water downward at 10-15° angle, high->low, moving water right to left. Nozzle at left end blowing at 5-7° angle to right just under surface making surface ripple for good gas exchange. This will cross tank back to front and when it hits front glass and spreads out, it will sweep water left to right as well as sweep water and gases down front glass down to plants at bottom. You’ll be setting up good high->low nutrient and gas movement around tank as well as setting up a mild rotating current around tank that will keep debris moving around till filter intake can pick them up. You’ll see plants all over tank wiggling slightly in that light breeze of a current but none of those currents will be so hard that fish can’t swim or plants getting blown over sideways. That’s how I would setup this tank if I was doing it.

Last edited by DaveKS; 06-30-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok that is interesting, it just happens that I bought a second cheaper set of glass lily pipes, so I actually could do this and keep the same look. I will think on it for sure!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtlefly View Post
Ok that is interesting, it just happens that I bought a second cheaper set of glass lily pipes, so I actually could do this and keep the same look. I will think on it for sure!
Lily pipe back right doesn’t give you enough downward angle, it needs to blow down back wall not across it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtlefly View Post
I've used one filter and one set of lily pipes on all my 3 and 4 foot tanks for over 10 years. I currently have a tank similar to your dimensions and everything is pristine for over a year now. I previously had a 4 foot setup for over 7 years with one lily. ADA which pretty much started the whole lily pipe thing uses one lily on all their tanks even up to 6 feet long. All you need is gentle flow which you will get from the one lily going across the front and intake drawing it back from the water movement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode