Huge ph flucuations with (co2 day) then (oxygen night) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Huge ph flucuations with (co2 day) then (oxygen night)

I completely understand ph is going to change with co2. But I'm kinda worried about how much it changes by day and then overnight. I'm sure the up and down has to be hard on the fish. For the longest time, I never ran an airstone at night. My ph stayed around 7.2. But realizing how hard my water was from tap (TDS was close to 300, kh was about 12-15), I started mixing RO water with my tap water on weekly WC (50% because I dose Fert using EI method). This helped bring that hardness down a bit over 3 weeks of slowly mixing in more RO (TDS 95, kh & gh at 5), but of course, with a lower KH, I needed to increase my Co2 as it was too low. I did this over a few days until I hit about 30ppm on Co2.

I started wondering if I increased it too fast. I checked the ph last night before the co2 cut off (I have it running on a timer along with the lights). I was expecting a ph drop, but I didn't realize how much. My previous 7.2 was now 6.6. I thought that maybe I could run a little airstone overnight. Hopefully that will get me a little to 7.0 and we will live happily ever after. I put it on a time for overnight.

I get up this morning and decide to check that ph, and now it's back to 7.4. Which 7.4 is completely fine to me. Drop checker is a turquoise color. However, going from 7.4, to 6.6, and then overnight, back to 7.4. I'm concerned if I were to do this on a daily routine - 7.4-6.6 rotation - how is this huge fluctuation affecting my fish?

Anyone else run airstones at night to gas off the co2? Do you have such a huge change in ph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharper43 View Post
I completely understand ph is going to change with co2. But I'm kinda worried about how much it changes by day and then overnight. I'm sure the up and down has to be hard on the fish. For the longest time, I never ran an airstone at night. My ph stayed around 7.2. But realizing how hard my water was from tap (TDS was close to 300, kh was about 12-15), I started mixing RO water with my tap water on weekly WC (50% because I dose Fert using EI method). This helped bring that hardness down a bit over 3 weeks of slowly mixing in more RO (TDS 95, kh & gh at 5), but of course, with a lower KH, I needed to increase my Co2 as it was too low. I did this over a few days until I hit about 30ppm on Co2.

I started wondering if I increased it too fast. I checked the ph last night before the co2 cut off (I have it running on a timer along with the lights). I was expecting a ph drop, but I didn't realize how much. My previous 7.2 was now 6.6. I thought that maybe I could run a little airstone overnight. Hopefully that will get me a little to 7.0 and we will live happily ever after. I put it on a time for overnight.

I get up this morning and decide to check that ph, and now it's back to 7.4. Which 7.4 is completely fine to me. Drop checker is a turquoise color. However, going from 7.4, to 6.6, and then overnight, back to 7.4. I'm concerned if I were to do this on a daily routine - 7.4-6.6 rotation - how is this huge fluctuation affecting my fish?

Anyone else run airstones at night to gas off the co2? Do you have such a huge change in ph?
I like to run co2 while my plants are doing photosynthesis. At night, when light goes off and photosynthesis is no longer in process I turn on the airstone for oxygenation. I started with the airstone routine about 3 days ago, and while I'm treating my tank for ich disease that keep coming back, I cant say for sure if its working but in 24h I will start with co2 dosing again and I will let this forum know the results. I didn't check water quality in different day times, but I'll try. (I test when I do a water change, add medicine, 1 day after water change and when I'm adding/removing anything from furniture to root tabs)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharper43 View Post

This is normal and standard in most planted tanks as well as natural rivers that have CO2 build up in the night.

you can read this couple of links:
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...-co2-injection
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...ater-a-concern

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
This is normal and standard in most planted tanks as well as natural rivers that have CO2 build up in the night.

you can read this couple of links:
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...-co2-injection
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...ater-a-concern
Thanks for the links! Very informative. I'm so relieved to see that this much of a drop in ph is okay for the livestock and in such a short time, also. I do wonder about an ongoing swing on a daily basis if I continue to run an airstone at night. Or perhaps I should not run an airstone at all, that way it doesn't rollercoaster so much over and over again. If the fish are cool with it on rotation like, that then I'll keep it going.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 04:10 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I aim for a .8 to full 1 point drop from CO2 during the day and then it shuts off an hour before lights go off at night. During the day I run airstones for 10 minutes each hour to add O2, then they run all night after lights off. The swings don't impact livestock in any way that I can see. The TDS and osmotic pressure remain the same, so the same pH swings that could wipe out a tank if done via water change have negligible effects when done via CO2 forcing pH drops. In other words, sounds like you are on the right path.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I aim for a .8 to full 1 point drop from CO2 during the day and then it shuts off an hour before lights go off at night. During the day I run airstones for 10 minutes each hour to add O2, then they run all night after lights off. The swings don't impact livestock in any way that I can see. The TDS and osmotic pressure remain the same, so the same pH swings that could wipe out a tank if done via water change have negligible effects when done via CO2 forcing pH drops. In other words, sounds like you are on the right path.
Thanks! Whew! I'll keep with the air at night then. I appreciate it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode