Missing Tetras and Cloudy Water (HELP!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Missing Tetras and Cloudy Water (HELP!)

So 2 days ago I did a 50% WC, and might have caused a shock for the few tetras inside the tank (my mistake!). Yesterday I saw 2 of my tetras went missing, but the other seemed fine, I looked everywhere in the tank and I can't find them/their remains (My tank is heavily hardscaped and the rocks are glued together so it is impossible to move the rocks to search for it without tearing the whole tank apart). Today, the water went hazy although the other tetras (which none went missing again), and plants (mosses, cuba, and buces) are doing fine. I suppose this might be caused by the bacteria bloom due to the dead fish? and should I be worried? What is the best thing I could do to stop the clouding/prevent any damage to the plants/fishes?

My NH3/NH4+ test kit ran out during the cycling phase around 2 months ago, ordered it a few days ago and it should arrive this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thanks

Last edited by AmphiprionOcellaris; 06-02-2020 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
it would probably be good to do a preventative water change, the recent one might have had a negative impact and the missing/dead fish might cause an issue

just to understand, what size tank and what stocking do you have?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
it would probably be good to do a preventative water change, the recent one might have had a negative impact and the missing/dead fish might cause an issue

just to understand, what size tank and what stocking do you have?
Thanks for the reply,
15 gallons with 8 Tetras (now 6 Tetras)
However, the tank went cloudier today than yesterday. The NH4+/NH3 Test Kit arrived, tested it immediately and it shows 0ppm. tested the NO2 also 0ppm. Is there any way I can do to quickly remove the cloudiness? should I do a big WC? I am thinking about purchasing Seachem Stability, would it be any help to my problem?
Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Is it a green haze or a white one?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Is it a green haze or a white one?
Thanks for the reply,
Definitely white haze
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
bacteria boom, you can increase water aeration to accelerate the cycle. do you have air pump? use it if you have one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yea, probably got a couple “Fuzz Fish” stuck in rocks somewhere. Sounds like tank is taking care of ammonia but they are releasing rotting organics into water. They’ll probably be gone in a week. Might try a turkey baster and blow in between rocks see if you can blow them out and net them. Turkey baster is nice to have to blow between rocks and push detritus out before you do water changes/cleaning anyway, one of best tools a aquarist can own.

Their basically what is known as chemoheterotrophic bacteria, they use oxidized minerals in water as their energy source and feed on any lesser organisms or organic waste they can find as food source. You can either deprive them of energy source or starve them of food. A big bag of activated carbon for a couple weeks would probably help a lot in removing their food source.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:
A few days ago I added air stone with a timer that turns on at night, yesterday, the water cleared up completely. Thanks for the advice!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode