Water flow rate question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
GLP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water flow rate question

How often do you guys turn over the water in your tank each hour. I have plenty of filtration in my sump. I also have a CO2 reactor that returns enriched water with the return pump. I was thinking that a slower flow rate would give the CO2 more time to be absorbed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 03:16 PM
Planted Member

I have a similar set up and yes, if I turn up my return pump( its a DC variable speed pump) I get a few more bubbles in the tank because my Griggs reactor doesn't get a chance to fully dissolve them. However I'm more concerned with getting enough flow and getting the CO2 enriched water to the whole tank and all plants. Therefore I would focus on getting the right flow in the tank.

My tank has turnover of about 6X tank volume.

Last edited by mboley; 05-31-2020 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLP View Post
How often do you guys turn over the water in your tank each hour. I have plenty of filtration in my sump. I also have a CO2 reactor that returns enriched water with the return pump. I was thinking that a slower flow rate would give the CO2 more time to be absorbed.
It think it better to focus upon the effect of the circulation in your tank, rather than turnover. This involves the circulation pattern throughout your tank. The ideal situation is when you can see all parts of all your plants, from top to bottom, very gently moving while ensuring a full sweeping of your substrate. This will also involve ensuring that you have good surface rippling for gas exchange. To accomplish all of this, it is sometimes necessary to add additional pumps/skimmers.

Regarding CO2, you are stuck with having to target a certain CO2 level, such as 30ppm throughout your tank with that ideal circulation. So, the reactor has to deal with that. Slowing the reactor flow rate may end up causing increased gas accumulation in the reactor (gurgling) and increasing flow may cause CO2 bubbles to enter the tank and dissolve there.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
GLP
Algae Grower

Thanks, I may try adding some powerheads to boost water movement before increasing the flow rate on the return pump.

Bump: Thanks, I will need to measure my flow since Iím running a regular pump and restricting it with a ball valve. I donít think I have room to add a flow meter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How big is your tank and what filter are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Usually you branch off from pumps output with a T or manifold and give CO2 reactors line it’s own ball valve/return to tank so you can optimize the flow through it without effecting main pumps total output.

What size (dimensions) is tank and what is GPH rating of pump?

Example, for a 50gal tank, get a 400gph pump for 8x turnover rate. Then split pumps output to 3 returns to tank with a manifold and 3 ball valves, only one of those returns will will feed co2 reactor and its flow will be optimized for its specific needs. Probably 180gph going through reactor and then 110gph going to the other 2 tank returns.

6-8x turnover is my general rule but in a planted tank those outputs would be split up so that no return is over 180-200gph max. Don’t want plants blown sideways or big areas where fish are unable to swim around in tank because of high current. Usually around 100-180gph for each return in the tank seems the sweet spot. The bigger the tank the more returns you need for even current patterns/distribution around tank.

Last edited by DaveKS; 06-01-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
GLP
Algae Grower

I have a pump rated for 950 gph with a 13.5í head. The pump is operating with a 6í head with 2 elbows and a ball valve restricting the flow. I donít have a flow meter and havenít measured the gph itís producing. My CO2 reactor is powered with a different pump and returns water to the intake area of the main return pump. I need to make that a direct feed into the display tank. The return pump is split into two returns. The tank has two corner overflow boxes. My tank is a 110 with a sump capacity of 25 gallons. Iím thinking of adding a couple powerheads inside the display tank to increase water movement.

Thanks for the help Dave.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode