• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Immortal1
  • 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Bandit1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideal stand height for 75 gallon tank

My neighbor is building my stand for my 75 gallon tank. He has asked me what height it should be and I’m not really sure what to tell him. I would like it as tall as is reasonable, but still be able to easily reach the bottom back of the tank for maintenance. For reference, I am 5’ 10”. The tank will have a hood, if that makes a difference because cats! 😝
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwhitedog View Post
My neighbor is building my stand for my 75 gallon tank. He has asked me what height it should be and Im not really sure what to tell him. I would like it as tall as is reasonable, but still be able to easily reach the bottom back of the tank for maintenance. For reference, I am 5 10. The tank will have a hood, if that makes a difference because cats! 😝
My 75g stand is 22" tall and I find it a bit low. I have a 40B next to it on a 31" tall stand that I find a touch too high. I'm basing low and high on my viewing while seated. I'd take a 2' X 4' piece of cardboard or something, have someone hold it up while you view it the way you plan. Anywhere between those to heights should work, since you wanted tall I'd go closer to the 31". Don't forget to post pictures when you get it set up.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Would agree with above - 28" to 31" seems to be about average stand height. Something to consider is what you want to put in the stand. A 10# co2 tank has a very specific height that you can't change. Some canister filters are taller than they are wide so you have to consider that as well. Just a few thoughts.
If you look at the beginning of my build thread (link below) you can see what I did for my 75g tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 05:09 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm 6'1 and find most premade aquarium stands too low for working in the tanks as well as looking at them from a standing position. When I've made stands for myself, I try to make them a height that will get the top rim of the tank right about up to my armpit. They drain faster, are easier to see in, and easier to reach that back bottom corner when you might need to.
Bandit1200 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Would agree with above - 28" to 31" seems to be about average stand height. Something to consider is what you want to put in the stand. A 10# co2 tank has a very specific height that you can't change. Some canister filters are taller than they are wide so you have to consider that as well. Just a few thoughts.
If you look at the beginning of my build thread (link below) you can see what I did for my 75g tank.
I’ve purchased 2 x 5lb CO2 tanks. Do you think those would fit in a 31” stand, assuming the doors are large enough?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I will choose a stand height that is comfortable to look into the tank rather than reach into it.

The tank is visible to me for almost the entirety of the time i'm at home and not sleeping, but I'm only ever reaching into it 1 hour max per week. I will fight with a step stool for an hour per week vs bending over to look at my tank every time I walk up to it.

36" minimum is the height I'll build a stand, taller stands also give a false sense of a larger tank to me anyway. Even when sitting on the couch, 36" is about where by eyes are at anyway, so now I'm comfortably looking straight at the tank.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwhitedog View Post
Ive purchased 2 x 5lb CO2 tanks. Do you think those would fit in a 31 stand, assuming the doors are large enough?
Yes, the 5# tanks are around 19" tall? I think the 10# is 22-24" tall. Depending on the regulator that you get, that might add another 1-2" in height.
Quagulator likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'm 6'1 and find most premade aquarium stands too low for working in the tanks as well as looking at them from a standing position. When I've made stands for myself, I try to make them a height that will get the top rim of the tank right about up to my armpit. They drain faster, are easier to see in, and easier to reach that back bottom corner when you might need to.
Agree, top rim of tank just about my nipples or little above is sweet spot for viewing height vs access. Then when setting on couch, chair or ottoman in front of tank your eyes are just above middle of tank for good viewing.

So for me putting a 23.75 tall tank on a 26-27 stand would work out about right.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 09:06 PM
Algae Grower

On most of my reef tanks I always had the stands built between 36" and 40". Viewing height for the display and ease of dealing with equipment worked well.

To err is human; to blame it on someone else shows management potential.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post

I was going to say this myself, but I guess I was too slow.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 03:01 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetyfish View Post
On most of my reef tanks I always had the stands built between 36" and 40". Viewing height for the display and ease of dealing with equipment worked well.
+1 on higher stands. I want my eye level to be 4-6" below the top of the tank standing in front of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode