• 3 Post By Smallwhitedog
  • 3 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By burr740
  • 1 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting back into the hobbyó75 gallon rainbow fish

Hello! Iíve been out of the hobby since 2009 and a lot has changed! Thankfully, one of those things is my budget, as Iím no longer an impoverished graduate student. My tanks were really beautiful back then, but I had some tragedies that could have been avoided if I had

I am setting up a 75 gallon aquarium. My plan is to run a set up with medium-high lights. We have very hard water and I have no plans to use RO water. I will inject CO2. I plan to stock turquoise rainbows and some other kinds of rainbows with perhaps a school of corys.

I have ordered GRO CO2 system from GLA aquariums and an in-line Reactor. My neighbor is making my stand and hood. Otherwise, I havenít purchased a thing, yet!

What are people using for lights these days? A decade ago, T5s were popular, and so were metal halides, but now it looks like LEDs are a good choice, and I like the energy efficiency. Does anyone have a recommendation for light fixtures? I am not handy and would like something that can be installed into my hood.

What are good canister filters these days? I had a Rena XP filter, and it was decent. Are there any other choices to shop? I see some Chinese imports that have good reviews on amazon and are pretty cheap. Can these be trusted? I like that they come with UV sterilizer. I recall that I like a lot of flow in my tanks, so Iím guessing that two XP2s, or even XP3s are the way to go (or some equivalent).

What are the popular substrates these days? ADA aquasoil used to be the premium choice in substrates , but I had good luck using Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Itís so easy to plant in! Are soil tanks popular? I had a 20 gallon with a homemade demineralized soil substrate that was very difficult to make, and Iím not sure it was worth it.

I used to dose dry fertilizers. I think I bought them from some guy named Rex? Where are people buying them now.

Thanks in advance! I welcome any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
irishspy, Discusluv and ElleDee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

I cant help with your questions but there are many people on here that can. Ill tag some.

@Blue Ridge Reef
@Grobbins48
@Ken Keating1 @Immortal1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 08:31 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Fertilizers.
Rex Grigg is who you are probably thinking about. I used his ferts for many years. Not sure if he still sells them or not. @burr740 here on the forum makes similar ones, and lots of dry fert options available retail online.
Lighting
As LEDs go, I've been blown away by the Fluval Planted 3.0s and the phone app that comes with them. There are much more and less expensive options out there, too many to name. T5's still work too!
Filtration
I think the Chinese ones you are referring to are Sun Sun. I've never owned one, but feedback seems very solid around here. I prefer the Eheim Classic line, Fluval makes pretty decent ones too.
Substrate
I really like aqua soils. I really like Flourite and Eco Complete too, though lots don't seem to care for them. I've got healthy tanks growing healthy plants in all 3.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you! My user ID years ago was KelleyF, but I cannot remember that password to save my life. I had no digital camera back in the dark days before smart phones, but I hope to have pictures this time to share.

Bump: Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Fertilizers.
Rex Grigg is who you are probably thinking about. I used his ferts for many years. Not sure if he still sells them or not. @burr740 here on the forum makes similar ones, and lots of dry fert options available retail online. His tanks are absolutely beautiful
Lighting
As LEDs go, I've been blown away by the Fluval Planted 3.0s and the phone app that comes with them. There are much more and less expensive options out there, too many to name. T5's still work too!
Filtration
I think the Chinese ones you are referring to are Sun Sun. I've never owned one, but feedback seems very solid around here. I prefer the Eheim Classic line, Fluval makes pretty decent ones too.
Substrate
I really like aqua soils. I really like Flourite and Eco Complete too, though lots don't seem to care for them. I've got healthy tanks growing healthy plants in all 3.
Thanks for replying! @burr740 has absolutely beautiful tanks! I will be sure to check out his ferts!

Glad to know that the SunSun filters are an option. I had a fluval 206, I believe, and it was responsible for a minor tragedy involving a whole lot of water on my floor, so I'm not sure I would go back. I will do some thinking about the Eheim Classics. They did have a solid reputation.

Is one of these Fluval fixtures sufficient in 48"? https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/fluval-plant-3-0-led-light
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome back, and look forward to seeing another Rainbow tank on the board.

Quite a few here (me!) still use T5HO. Still looks great and grows plants well.

Rena XP still a good dependable filter. I run three on my 120G Rainbow tank.

Look up GLA for ferts.

Funny I just swapped from BDBS to soil, but really you can be successful with either.

Good luck and be sure to start a journal so folks can follow along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Welcome to the board! Thanks for the mention, atm I only sell diy kits for people who want to create their own micros. That is probably not something you need right now. You can scope the sale board for my plants though, I do sell a lot of those.

I second GLA for ferts. And T5HO lights. You'll get far better color rendition for your fish and plants with T5 than any LED that doesnt cost a fortune or you diy yourself.

Most of us T5 guys around here use hydroponic brand fixtures, like Agrobrite, Hydrofarm, etc. They are all about the same, and relatively cheap. Most come with 6500K bulbs but you'll want to use maybe one of those and the rest something more colorful. Several threads around here discussing bulbs. A four bulb unit would be ideal for a 75.

That 3.0 you linked is alright, just from what Ive seen in pictures. You'd probably need two

I still have a few tanks with blasting sand. It works fine for most plants until you get into the more sensitive species. Aquasoil type subs grow plants much better though. I like Landen

Looking forward to seeing the tank! Good luck with it
Greggz likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Also, welcome back! Another rainbow guy here - lots of pics of my 75g tank on my build thread below.
As GreggZ stated, T5 lights are still a very good option. I opted to go in a different direction, LOL Is my tank better for it - probably not.
A single 48" Fluval 3.0 would be good for more of a medium light on your 75g tank. Just does not have the front to back spread you may need. Two of them would be better.

Regarding a canister filter - I started with a smaller unit. Then went to a bigger unit as the number of fish increased. I am now on my 4th filter on this tank - a Fluval FX4. Mostly to handle the mechanical filtration for the amount of fish that I have. Just something to consider.

Burr740 for micros, NilocG - GLA seem to be the more popular for macros.

I am in the Eco Complete group for substrate. It grows plants - best I can say.
Greggz likes this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome back! I am with others on lights. LED's are great, just not on a large planted tank...for now anyway...I'm sure the technology will eventually pass T5's, but not yet. On my high tech 75 i used two Eheim 1117 (i think). And they worked beautifully. I added an in-line heater and an in-line reactor to the other and they still had plenty of flow.I like to cap aquasoil with whatever substrate is going to look good. I did not like eco-complete. It was hard for me to plant in, hard for runners on my plants to properly form, and seemed to be an algae magnet. But, i can only speak from my experience. Good luck!

This isn't rocket surgery

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode