Parasites in planted shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Parasites in planted shrimp tank

Hello, I’m new here and have a problem. Not sure if this was the right area to post. But here it goes.

So I have a 10 gallon shrimp tank with plenty of plants. I recently wanted to add a few fish. Apparently that was a bad idea. A couple of the fish are flashing already. I have a reef tank and I know that if you get parasites you remove all fish and treat them in another tank while the main tank goes fallow for 80 days to starve out all the parasites in the tank. So my question is. Do I do the same thing in a freshwater invert tank? I am not sure how the medication affects plants or inverts. I know copper will kill the shrimp and that’s my usual go to for parasites. But can you even use copper on freshwater fish?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Welcome to TPT. Copper is just as deadly on freshwater inverts as it is marine inverts. You'll want to avoid that one in a tank that will ever house shrimp. My general go-to for freshwater fish parasites in a shrimp tank had long been API's Quick Cure (malachite green and formalyn), but it's been off of the market for a few years. There are some weakened versions of it that can be purchased, pretty sure Ich-X is one. Should be just as effective, just costs much more when you go from a drop per gallon to a teaspoon or so per 5 gallons as I seem to recall the dosage being.

The shrimp in all likelihood shouldn't be a host, so treating in a QT for 90 days in theory would do the trick and the fish shouldn't be re-infected upon going back in.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Cool, that’s what I was hoping to hear. I wouldn’t want to just have repeated infections. I’m setting up a small QT tank now. Nip this in the bud before it escalates. I wasn’t 100% sure freshwater parasites starved out like marine ones do.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why bother getting rid of them? I've probably had the same thing in the past in a shrimp tank. For me it was a matter of over feeding. I cut my food in half and only fed every-other day for 2 weeks and that took care of the little worms. Good luck!

This isn't rocket surgery
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
Why bother getting rid of them? I've probably had the same thing in the past in a shrimp tank. For me it was a matter of over feeding. I cut my food in half and only fed every-other day for 2 weeks and that took care of the little worms. Good luck!
The OP is concerned about parasites ON fish- parasites that are host specific like Ich or gill and body flukes. Without a host fish the parasite cannot reproduce and will die.

Maybe you are thinking about critters in shrimp tank like planaria, scuds, seed shrimp, deitrus worms, etccc?
HairyNoseWombat likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes...my bad. I missed the part about the OP adding the fish. Hope it turns out ok OP!

This isn't rocket surgery
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:54 AM
Planted Member

Hi

What type of shrimp and what type of fish.

Flashing could indicate Ich and that's easily treated with heat

To treat Ich.

Increase the temperature to 32C/89.5F for the first 3-4 days this kills the Ich. At this temp you will see results in 24 hours

Then reduce temperature slowly to 30C/86F, and hold it there for an additional for 5 days and you are done.

Quote:
Maybe you are thinking about critters in shrimp tank like planaria, scuds, seed shrimp, deitrus worms,
Or as I call them............... free food for my fish LOL.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode