is 1 week in bad lighting okay til new light arrives? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
is 1 week in bad lighting okay til new light arrives?

For my mom's mothers day gift i decided to redo her 45 gallon for her with a new glass top, lights (t5ho) and a bunch of plants.

My issue is the light isn't here yet. The company was way behind from the virus. company assured me that it will ship by friday. but it could be a week til it gets here so it could be the 22nd before it shows up. Shouldn't be that long but it could be.

The plants unfortunately will be here on friday via Fedex. They only ship once a week and waited til after the deadline to delay a week and of course it didn't work out.

If I went ahead and fixed up her tank and they stayed under the current lighting (stock 36 inch t8 single bulb) for up to a week, would everything be alright?

Or should I just baby sit the higher light stuff in my tanks where I know I have good enough lighting.

mostly lower light stuff in a grab bag that I don't know exactly what's in it til it arrives.

the rest are as follows:

Myriophyllum heterophyllum - Myrio Red
Marsilea quadrifolia - Clover Four Leaf
Ludwigia repens
Hydrocotyle Leucocephala - Pennywort Brazilian
Rotala rotundiifolia - Rotala Indica
Echinodorus Red Flame - Flame Sword
Hygrophila difformis - Wisteria
Nymphaea zenkeri - Tiger lotus
Alternanthera reineckii - Telanthera Rosefolia

I'm not worried about the lower light stuff. Java fern and a crypt I put in there are growing okay under the current lighting. I already received the new glass top and put it on and it's letting a ton more light in the tank compared to the plastic hood it had on before with the highly pitted etched glass.

Not everything from this list will necessarily go in her tank. I just grabbed a variety since she didn't know what she wanted. I'm going to take some of this and put it in my tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Your plants will be fine without the light for a week.

However, I would be more concerned about how your plants will do WITH the light. Too much light, without injecting CO2, may cause them to suffer and encourage algae growth. Do you know what the light intensity will be at the substrate in terms of PAR? If not, perhaps you can post which bulbs you are installing and how far the bublbs will be from the substrate. Then, maybe some of us that use T5's can advise.

Also, make sure that you provide enough nutrients.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its a 45 gallon that's 24 inches tall.

Before I moved a few years ago, I had a 55g with t5 and kept quite a few of the same plants I mentioned and they grew fine.

The 45 is a little taller but there's about twice as much substrate depth wise as my 55g.

So more or less have the same amount of light at substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode