Ozark Spring Water - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ozark Spring Water

I'm assuming if the site states that Ozark's purified waters are treated via reverse osmosis, UV, and ozone disinfection, that would make their spring water a safe source for RO water for a tank? I'm not ready to get an RO filter for the house, but I'd like to do RO water in the new 5 gallon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200512-132216_Chrome_1589307991687.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	898143  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Point to ponder?
Are you aware that Ozarka spring water does not come from the Ozark mountains but I think I remember it comes from Texas. Ozarka is what I would assume to be just a marketing idea and implies little else. Bares checking but I think it comes from somewhere closer to Tyler, Texas but that is not known for being a clean pure area. But do some checking on that as it's just one of those odd things I came across.
But then another line of thought might be how and why you feel it might be better as they do not work to make the water better for keeping fish but do add some things to it to return the taste to better than it might be as RO which has little to no flavor in some cases.
The company bio in a quick Google search now says it was founded in Eureka Springs but is now owned by Nestle and no longer uses water from that source. If I understand it, the water comes from Texas but may/ may not be bottled in the NW Arkansas areas or simply shipped from there. Unsure on the details.
One point it really clear, though. It sure adds value to well water! Part of my confusion about "spring" water is how we might define it. Water that comes from underground by itself is a spring but is it still spring water if it is pumped from underground, rather than coming up by itself? Those who sell it tend to call it spring water but if it comes out of a well, I call it well water! Same water, just sells different?
AbbeysDad and Desert Pupfish like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know it's outta Texas. I live here so not a factor. Their source water would be about equivalent to what comes out of my tap before they treat it. And they call it spring water when it's sourced from an underground spring as opposed to an aquifer.

I did forget to consider what minerals they add back into the water. Maybe I'll look at their distilled rather than the spring...I don't think they remineralize their distilled.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylSoftpaws View Post
I'm assuming if the site states that Ozark's purified waters are treated via reverse osmosis, UV, and ozone disinfection, that would make their spring water a safe source for RO water for a tank? I'm not ready to get an RO filter for the house, but I'd like to do RO water in the new 5 gallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Point to ponder?
Are you aware that Ozarka spring water does not come from the Ozark mountains but I think I remember it comes from Texas. Ozarka is what I would assume to be just a marketing idea and implies little else. Bares checking but I think it comes from somewhere closer to Tyler, Texas but that is not known for being a clean pure area. But do some checking on that as it's just one of those odd things I came across.
But then another line of thought might be how and why you feel it might be better as they do not work to make the water better for keeping fish but do add some things to it to return the taste to better than it might be as RO which has little to no flavor in some cases.
The company bio in a quick Google search now says it was founded in Eureka Springs but is now owned by Nestle and no longer uses water from that source. If I understand it, the water comes from Texas but may/ may not be bottled in the NW Arkansas areas or simply shipped from there. Unsure on the details.
One point it really clear, though. It sure adds value to well water! Part of my confusion about "spring" water is how we might define it. Water that comes from underground by itself is a spring but is it still spring water if it is pumped from underground, rather than coming up by itself? Those who sell it tend to call it spring water but if it comes out of a well, I call it well water! Same water, just sells different?
There is a NetFlix docuseries called Rotten.This docuseries travels deep into the heart of the food supply chain to reveal unsavory truths and expose hidden forces that shape what we eat. Season 2 Episode " Trouble Waters" explains what, how, where all brands of "spring" water come from. Eye opening things for sure.
If you want to try RO those water machines outside grocery stores are a good source. No extra minerals added and u.v. sterilized. The machine close to me puts out 3ppm from a source water of 450ppm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
If you want to try RO those water machines outside grocery stores are a good source. No extra minerals added and u.v. sterilized. The machine close to me puts out 3ppm from a source water of 450ppm.
I've been trying to find one locally and am having issues. You'd think living in Houston this wouldn't be a problem, but there ya go. I'll keep looking. Maybe Walmart has one...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The key phrase is "...enhanced with minerals for consistent and pleasing taste."

It's bottled for taste, not for growing plants. Potassium, for example, doesn't taste very good, so I expect there is little to none in this water. Sodium tastes much better (it's why many people add salt to their food) and I would expect it to be somewhat high.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The subject of spring water has long been a fav of mine as I see it being deemed to have almost magical powers by some. On a recent trip, I stopped to look over how a large spring was holding up in the short term drought in the area and ran across a fellow trying to get water out of the surface pool but not wanting anybody to see him. Of course that is pretty hard when the spring is well know as a trout fishing spot stocked by the state! On a nice spring day it's hard to move let alone sneak some water out! What attracted my attention was the fact that he didn't want to be noticed and acted guilty of "something" even though I know of no rules against taking water from a trout stream? Actually folks take the fish home--if they are so lucky.
Eventually I got the info out of him that he was doing home brew, apparently felt guilty, but wanted to use "spring water" as it was "pure" for his brewing!
So we have a fellow wanting to use spring water where fish are stocked, hordes of people stand to fish and it's all located a short distance from Times Beach, Missouri, which is semi-famous for the town being torn down and all the dirt hauled off to clear dioxin contamination! Since spring water is surface water which has run along on top of some underground layer to come up and out at another point, I'm thinking I'll never want to drink straight from that spring, for sure!
Yes! He was getting that good clear spring water to drink! While setting and thinking it over a bit, I threw some fish food to the ducks swimming around. I assume they left the pool before going to the bathroom, huh?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
The subject of spring water has long been a fav of mine as I see it being deemed to have almost magical powers by some. On a recent trip, I stopped to look over how a large spring was holding up in the short term drought in the area and ran across a fellow trying to get water out of the surface pool but not wanting anybody to see him. Of course that is pretty hard when the spring is well know as a trout fishing spot stocked by the state! On a nice spring day it's hard to move let alone sneak some water out! What attracted my attention was the fact that he didn't want to be noticed and acted guilty of "something" even though I know of no rules against taking water from a trout stream? Actually folks take the fish home--if they are so lucky.
Eventually I got the info out of him that he was doing home brew, apparently felt guilty, but wanted to use "spring water" as it was "pure" for his brewing!
So we have a fellow wanting to use spring water where fish are stocked, hordes of people stand to fish and it's all located a short distance from Times Beach, Missouri, which is semi-famous for the town being torn down and all the dirt hauled off to clear dioxin contamination! Since spring water is surface water which has run along on top of some underground layer to come up and out at another point, I'm thinking I'll never want to drink straight from that spring, for sure!
Yes! He was getting that good clear spring water to drink! While setting and thinking it over a bit, I threw some fish food to the ducks swimming around. I assume they left the pool before going to the bathroom, huh?
That's funny lol. No belief in magical properties here-- there may have been a time when springs were cleaner than other options like stagnant ponds, but those days are long gone unfortunately. I only specified because Ozark offers spring or distilled, and my local HEB sells the big jugs you can trade out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 PM

I live in the Ozarks and have used "real" spring water for my household use for 50 years, including for drip systems in several aquariums. My fish thrive. Bottled "spring water" is a marketing scheme. All minerals and other components are stripped by RO, UV and ozone and then added back for flavor. Natural spring water of course varies with location and geology. Ours comes from karst limestone and is pH 8.0 and very hard. Natural spring water is also considered unsafe to drink by many state health departments on the assumption that water in contact with the air contains fecal coliform (e. coli), although repeated testing has proven ours safe. Local moonshiners who seek out our water would take issue with the claim that it does not have magical properties!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneroller View Post
I live in the Ozarks and have used "real" spring water for my household use for 50 years, including for drip systems in several aquariums. My fish thrive. Bottled "spring water" is a marketing scheme. All minerals and other components are stripped by RO, UV and ozone and then added back for flavor. Natural spring water of course varies with location and geology. Ours comes from karst limestone and is pH 8.0 and very hard. Natural spring water is also considered unsafe to drink by many state health departments on the assumption that water in contact with the air contains fecal coliform (e. coli), although repeated testing has proven ours safe. Local moonshiners who seek out our water would take issue with the claim that it does not have magical properties!
Location is always a big factor when we speak of water and springs are very much the same except we can't see where the water may come from underground. Some can still be great but I would not want to trust it long term as the ground is constantly shifting things around underground so opening up to a different layer may leave the water changing. I worked water along the MO-Ar border and one of the headaches is the number of uncapped wells which were drilled or dug without using well casing to keep ground water from running to the old well opening and going as far down into the underground as the opening. One of the big bugs for using well water at the neighborhood well was the short distance down to Cricket, Ar where there is a superfund site that is still not on the schedule to clean up. With funding cuts it is unlikely to ever be cleaned up but they are aware that there is a vast amount of creosote pollution underground and gradually moving away from the abandoned plant. At some point it is assumed that it will break through the limestone layers and get into other layers. With limited research done on where that next layer may lead,we were always relieved to find testing showed our water was still okay but we did step up the testing as time went on.
Assuming water will stay good is kind of like assuming the chiggers won't get you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode