New member and discouraged - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stability might be enough if you're patient and "Time is On Your Side". But when I read OP "ready to quit the hobby" IMHO that translates to spending $20 might be a worthwhile investment if it could save a fishkeeper by getting a tank cycled a week or two faster.
If Turbostart 700 didn't work for you, your experience counters mine and that's fine, I'd like to hear about it. Nothing works for everyone (except perhaps Prime). But to diss a product that you haven't used while dismissing others successful experiences with it is pretty sad for you. Generally I agree that there are not many short cuts that work, but remember the shortest path around the earth isn't a straight line. Occasionally a new path or product is worthwhile. At least with my Texas chloramine-loaded hard water, that stuff has been a godsend.

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Let me clarify, Stability isnt needed either. But, the bottle is open and the OP has been using it.

I do not put much stock in these products because of the following papers. The first one breaks it down in very easy terms. Look for the importance of Ammonia-oxidizing archaea (AOA) relative to ammonia-oxidizing bacteria (AOB).

AquariumKids | Archaea in Aquaria: Tiny Organisms, Huge Discovery

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3156731/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you have a Python - https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho.../dp/B000255NXC - or similar device for your water changes or are you having to use buckets?

With the right kind of faucet nearby, the python makes water changes so much easier than hauling buckets. There are adapters for these if needed for a particular faucet, although I had one new faucet I had to return and replace as I just couldn't find a fitting to work. Loved the new faucet, but loved my python more, so I sacrificed style for function.
Discusluv likes this.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Do you have a Python - https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho.../dp/B000255NXC - or similar device for your water changes or are you having to use buckets?

With the right kind of faucet nearby, the python makes water changes so much easier than hauling buckets. There are adapters for these if needed for a particular faucet, although I had one new faucet I had to return and replace as I just couldn't find a fitting to work. Loved the new faucet, but loved my python more, so I sacrificed style for function. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilies/proud.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Proud" >:-)</a>
I do have a python. I have a canister filter that I turn off during water changes and make sure the prime is mixed well with the water before I restart it.
I don’t even know what I’d do without one, probably cry. 50 percent of 48 gallons is a lot of water.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

So this is interesting... I came across this post from a Seachem admin while researching what I might want to mix with my aquasoil for a new tank set up...

https://www.seachem.com/support/foru...y-cloudy-water

The post was about cycling with Stability (which actually might be helpful for a readthrough since you are going through the same sort of tank stage). The Seachem expert writes: "As far as adding other bacteria starter products that is up to you. I will tell you that the type of bacteria that is in Stability is completely different than what is in most of the competitors products. Our bacteria are not the normal nitrosomas and nitrobactor bacteria. Those bacteria are always active, they do not go dormant like Stability. ... There will not be any adverse reactions between the two types of bacteria."

So there may be good rationale to add another brand too if you already have it on hand!

@Discusluv Thanks for the reference to the Archea article. Very interesting!

Bump: Also - any tips from folks on what I should mix with my ADA Aquasoil? I think so far I have decided NO to powersand (mostly for aesthetic reasons), YES to activated carbon powder and am on the fence about mixing in bacteria starter.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 12:29 AM
Algae Grower

Keep your head up. There is some great advice above!

Having been around fish tanks for the last 10ish years I can tell you that it is a lot of live and learn type of experiences.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Buce Fiend - Small Tank Keeper
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Adding my moral support to what others have already offered. We've all been there...

Let us know when your plants arrive--what all did you order? In my experience, floaters do an amazing job at soaking up excess nutrients--because they don't have to put down roots, or compete for light or CO2. I've got an overstocked tank covered with red root floaters that keeps it stable. They grow so fast I have to remove 1/2 weekly, and they grow back in a couple of days. Happy to send you some if you like.

Keep the faith!
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Adding my moral support to what others have already offered. We've all been there...

Let us know when your plants arrive--what all did you order? In my experience, floaters do an amazing job at soaking up excess nutrients--because they don't have to put down roots, or compete for light or CO2. I've got an overstocked tank covered with red root floaters that keeps it stable. They grow so fast I have to remove 1/2 weekly, and they grow back in a couple of days. Happy to send you some if you like.

Keep the faith!
Thank you! I have a shipment arriving today, Large pack of assorted submerged grown stems and some assorted aponogeton.

I actually saved a handful of frogbit from my old setup and tried to put some in but it all died because I think the surface is just to high flow in this tank.

I can update you with a picture of this beautiful disaster once I plant them and do the evening water change.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just want to update everyone that I woke this morning to do my dreaded water tests and make sure my fish were still alive. Last night I still had 0.25 of nitrites and this morning...nothing. It cycled again. I think it’s going to be alright. The sheer number of water changes has broken me down and I will never make the same mistakes again. Probably just new ones.

Thanks for the help and support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0607743-EAF4-4B13-B1D2-C90B2822C9E6_1589978518214.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	898547  

Bettatail, Discusluv and zmartin like this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockish View Post
I just want to update everyone that I woke this morning to do my dreaded water tests and make sure my fish were still alive. Last night I still had 0.25 of nitrites and this morning...nothing. It cycled again. I think itís going to be alright. The sheer number of water changes has broken me down and I will never make the same mistakes again. Probably just new ones.

Thanks for the help and support.
Excellent to hear!
Your experience brings this quote to mind.

Think of all you learned.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode