Canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sbank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Canister filter

Hi, I am setting up a new 60 gallon planted tank. This is my first planted tank aquarium. I planning to buy Fluval 307 canister filter along with the lily pipes. But at the local store guy mentioned lily pipe is hard to fit in Fluval canister filter. Is that true?. if no, please suggest me which model of lily pipes are best suited for Fluval 307 canister filter.

And also please give me a suggestion of which brand filter should I opt for, if Fluval isn't the right choice.

Thank you.

Regards,
Deepan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
The Fluval filters are a good overall choice. The problem with them is the manufacturer supplied tubing is pretty much designed to fit with the manufacturer supplied parts. It is not very DIY friendly, but it can be done (I know I have - see the last few pages of my build thread below for an idea). Given your location, I am not sure what all is available to you. The Eheim Pro 4, Model 350 would be another good choice for your size aquarium assuming you don't have too many fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepan View Post
Hi, I am setting up a new 60 gallon planted tank. This is my first planted tank aquarium. I planning to buy Fluval 307 canister filter along with the lily pipes. But at the local store guy mentioned lily pipe is hard to fit in Fluval canister filter. Is that true?. if no, please suggest me which model of lily pipes are best suited for Fluval 307 canister filter.

And also please give me a suggestion of which brand filter should I opt for, if Fluval isn't the right choice.

Thank you.

Regards,
Deepan
You just have to buy the correctly sized lily pipes for the hose. From what I have read, the 307's rubber hose adapters would accept a 5/8" or 16mm diameter hose/attachment, so 16mm lily pipes should work.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Several months ago I bought a Polar Aurora HW 304B (unbranded Sunsun) at about half the cost of a comparable Fluval and I'm very happy with it. Now Fluval is a good brand with a good rep (so is Eheim). But if cost is any issue I'd go with a Sunsun or unbranded equivalent.
As for Lily pipes, I'd set it up with the components it comes with and modify down the road if there's a real need.
Now for a 60g, I'd likely go with an Aquaclear 70 HOB. Same flexibility with respect to media, but way easier to service than a canister.
(I have two AC70's with AC50 impellers, both totally filled with sponge material, on my 6og planted tank.)

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I love my Eheim, super quiet, pretty easy. One thing I want to talk about is, when I first used it I didn't know how it'd work, or if it would at all, I wanted up not tightening the intake, and it leaked for months until when I was finally cleaning it I turned it one more turn. I was reading somewhere that said if you turn it too hard, you'd crack it, etc, so that was my initial concern/fear. This turned out to be the opposite. After this was adjusted, no leaks, nothing.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Several months ago I bought a Polar Aurora HW 304B (unbranded Sunsun) at about half the cost of a comparable Fluval and I'm very happy with it. Now Fluval is a good brand with a good rep (so is Eheim). But if cost is any issue I'd go with a Sunsun or unbranded equivalent.
As for Lily pipes, I'd set it up with the components it comes with and modify down the road if there's a real need.
Now for a 60g, I'd likely go with an Aquaclear 70 HOB. Same flexibility with respect to media, but way easier to service than a canister.
(I have two AC70's with AC50 impellers, both totally filled with sponge material, on my 6og planted tank.)
Did you use the smaller impellers to reduce the noise from the pumps? I was having a hell of a time getting a Fluval 406 to work properly (I suspect that it was damaged when I bought it second-hand, but it was sold to me as if it were in good working condition), so I put an AC110 filter on my tank and its a lot louder than I expected it to be. If an AC70 impeller can quiet the filter down, I'd love to give it a shot.

I do agree with everything you said though. I had two unbranded Sunsuns (Grech GW-304B) running on a 130g cichlid tank and they were great, especially for the price. That said, a HOB filter is much easier to service and maintain, and also much easier to prime (if necessary).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

Fluvals are high profit filters for the sellers. Also using ribbed hoses creates turbulent water motion which slows water flow and traps debris. I agree with the above on the Sunsun brands. Mine has been running almost 10 years now with no issues. More important is the media you put in it. Put in media that has good water flow THROUGH all the media and never any hard media where water flows around it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 01:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

All the filters mentioned are good, if your going with lily pipes just use an eheim. They fit all the lily pipes perfectly, I also use 1/2" clear tubing at home depot to replace the green tubing so everything is clear with the lily pipes. The eheims might be a little more, but how many times do you change your filter.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 02:30 PM
Algae Grower

There's a reason that all the lily pipes fit Eheim tubing. It's because Eheim filters have been so reliable and so steadily purchased for so long that the accessory manufacturers have adapted to be compatible with them. Think about it, if you were going to design a car accessory, wouldn't you want it to fit in Toyota Camry and Corolla? Personally, I like the Eheim Classic series for simplicity and value, along with wide parts availability and a track record where it's common to hear they last a decade or more. They also hold a ton of whatever media you choose without wasted space. On the downside, the green tubing isn't for everyone.

The Oase Biotherms have a few nice features like heater option and pre-sponges that are easy to clean, if you want extra convenience at a higher price.

As to the Aquaclear HOB suggestion, with 5 of these running in our room, I can't still recommend them for two related reasons. 1- you need to turn them off each time you do a water change 2- when you plug them back in after a water change, they often don't restart. This requires dealing with the mess of removing them from the tank, carrying them to the sink, removing and cleaning the motor/impeller and then reassembling & refilling. Quite a nuisance. Plus, visually, many including me, would rather not see an HOB at the back of the tank.

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbank View Post
There's a reason that all the lily pipes fit Eheim tubing. It's because Eheim filters have been so reliable and so steadily purchased for so long that the accessory manufacturers have adapted to be compatible with them.
Is this an assumption, or proven fact? If it is fact, I would love to see a credible source for this info.

Quote:
As to the Aquaclear HOB suggestion, with 5 of these running in our room, I can't still recommend them for two related reasons. 1- you need to turn them off each time you do a water change 2- when you plug them back in after a water change, they often don't restart. This requires dealing with the mess of removing them from the tank, carrying them to the sink, removing and cleaning the motor/impeller and then reassembling & refilling. Quite a nuisance. Plus, visually, many including me, would rather not see an HOB at the back of the tank.
1. No you don't. At least, not in all cases. It depends on how large your water changes are and what you're stocking your tank with. The inlet tube may not be deep enough, and the lower water level would create a more turbulent flow from the filter. That said, you can get inlet extension tubes, and depending on the canister filter's output, you'd have a similar issue as the HOB filter.

2. This does happen, I had a 10 year old AC70 start doing this a few months ago. But it was 10 years old after all, and it only costs $40-50 for a new filter (or $13 for a new impeller).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
Is this an assumption, or proven fact? If it is fact, I would love to see a credible source for this info.
It's both, but mostly observation. The Eheim sales and longevity are facts. (Google it!) That most of the pipes, inline diffusors, UV, etc. fit Eheim tubing s my observation and personal experience from researching and shopping for these items. As to why those manufacturers tend to make their gear compatible with eheim tubing is an assumption...I assume they are smart and their observations lead them to design to attempt to make their products easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post

1. No you don't. At least, not in all cases. It depends on how large your water changes are and what you're stocking your tank with. The inlet tube may not be deep enough, and the lower water level would create a more turbulent flow from the filter. That said, you can get inlet extension tubes, and depending on the canister filter's output, you'd have a similar issue as the HOB filter.

2. This does happen, I had a 10 year old AC70 start doing this a few months ago. But it was 10 years old after all, and it only costs $40-50 for a new filter (or $13 for a new impeller).
Good point about adding extender tubes, certainly an option if you prefer HOBs.
Our 5 AquaClears all less than 2 years old have had the restart issue. They vary in size from 20-50, but I think the designs are the same across the line. For this reason, we've switched to Seachem Tidal when we prefer to use an HOB. YMMV.
Uncle_R likes this.

Walking the tightrope of discus in a high tech planted tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
It's both, but mostly observation. The Eheim sales and longevity are facts. (Google it!) That most of the pipes, inline diffusors, UV, etc. fit Eheim tubing s my observation and personal experience from researching and shopping for these items. As to why those manufacturers tend to make their gear compatible with eheim tubing is an assumption...I assume they are smart and their observations lead them to design to attempt to make their products easy to use.

Good point about adding extender tubes, certainly an option if you prefer HOBs.
Our 5 AquaClears all less than 2 years old have had the restart issue. They vary in size from 20-50, but I think the designs are the same across the line. For this reason, we've switched to Seachem Tidal when we prefer to use an HOB. YMMV.
Thanks. You're right about the AquaClear designs. Apparently replacement motors are the same for the 20, 30, 50, and 70 filters, but the impellers are different.

If I were to buy a brand new filter now, I'd probably try a Seachem Tidal as well, they appear to be great filters.

Tags
canister filter, lily pipe, planted 50 gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode