Cloudy tank, Bacteria bloom or Matrix dust? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmphiprionOcellaris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy tank, Bacteria bloom or Matrix dust?

Hi, I'm new here. So I've just started my tank a few weeks ago. Around 2 days a go i noticed the water is a bit hazy and yesterday it got worse and i immedieately did 50 percent water change and it cleared about 70% of the cloudiness. Today i added seachem matrix to the filter. A few hours later it got cloudier, worse than yesterday. Is it some kind of bacteria bloom or probably is it the matrix's dust that causes the cloudiness? Will seachem's clarity help to clear the bacteria bloom or the matrix's dust? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:31 PM

Hii
How long does the aquarium tank set?
Did you just set it up 2 days ago?
Is there any fish in the aquarium?
IMO if the tank is newly set up I am sure it's bacteria bloom. Just let it sit there for a week and the water will clear you don't have to change any water if it's bacteria bloom
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinZ View Post
Hii
How long does the aquarium tank set?
Did you just set it up 2 days ago?
Is there any fish in the aquarium?
IMO if the tank is newly set up I am sure it's bacteria bloom. Just let it sit there for a week and the water will clear you don't have to change any water if it's bacteria bloom
The tank has been running for about 4 weeks. It has 5 amandae tetras and some amano shrimps in it. I've been cutting back on feeding them since the water starts to get hazy. Should i perform daily water changes or should i just wait?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The latest cloudiness might be due to the addition of the Seachem Matrix if you didn't rinse it before adding to the filter.

What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Not sure if you cycled the tank before adding livestock.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
The latest cloudiness might be due to the addition of the Seachem Matrix if you didn't rinse it before adding to the filter.

What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Not sure if you cycled the tank before adding livestock.

Just tested the water, NH3 0 ppm, NO2 0 ppm, and somehow NO3 shows 0 ppm too, should i dose ferts? ( My tank only has montecarlos)
I cycled the tank for 2 weeks before adding any fish/shrimp.

I've rinsed the matrix for like 4 or 5 times just in case, however i suspect that i might poured it too hard into the canister that might cause it to grind. Assuming the culprit is the matrix's dust, would using clarity solve the problem? And if i use clarity and the dust particles in the water column bound, would it somehow clogs the matrix's pores?

By the way, thanks guys for the answers. I'm new to the planted tank hobby, used to keep reef tanks though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
My guess is that your tank is not cycled since you are showing zero nitrate. Cycling a tank is more involved than just running it for a few weeks prior to adding livestock. It usually involves transferring mature media from another tank, using a bottled bacteria product or dosing with ammonia (no livestock involved).

You may just have a bacteria bloom which will continue as the cycling process moves forward.

I suggest daily testing and writing down the results so you can keep track of the tank's progress. If you see ammonia or nitrite level start to rise, you will need to perform water changes to keep those numbers as close to zero as possible.

Which brand and type aquarium test kit are you using?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

Here is information on 6.2.3. Bacterial Blooms that will solve your issue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for the late reply, i found out what the problem is. The amanos were digging all around the soil and cause soil dusts to fly all over the tank. I managed to catch all the amanos and give it away to a friend. After 24 hours, the water became crystal clear again. Thank you everyone!
deeda likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode