Shipping Plants in Heat Sealed Bags versus Wet Paper Towel in Ziploc Bag: Which one is better? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shipping Plants in Heat Sealed Bags versus Wet Paper Towel in Ziploc Bag: Which one is better?

I was wondering which method of shipping plants was better: using heat sealed bags or using the classic wet paper towel wrap in a ziploc bag? This question is posed to both people who purchase plants and online and sellers. Which method allows the plants to arrive in the best shape possible?

Additionally, do plants arrive better in a padded envelope or a box?

Thank you for any advice that you all may have. I greatly appreciate it.

Removed by moderators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My 2 cents: wet paper towel and Ziploc is easy and effective. Plus it's less risk of damaging the plants while opening the packaging.

Boxes offer more protection than envelopes. Pad the Ziploc with dry paper towels or tissue paper/ crumbled newspaper around it inside the box. Loose, not tight packed, and you're all set
Maryland Guppy likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't ship plants often, but when I do my preferred method is to line a small plastic container with a damp paper towel, gently drape over the plant, tape the container shut around edges with packing tape, wrap in several layers of newspaper for some insulation and then put into a small box to ship. Pad around it with more crumpled newspaper or other material so it doesn't shift. They keep enough moisture and don't get crushed.

I save small plastic containers with lids (from toy packaging or fresh herb packets) and small boxes that come in the mail just for this purpose. I started packing plants that way after seeing how they arrive at my own house, ones simply put into plastic baggies or bubble envelopes often have some damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Wet paper towel, ziploc, and box. The only things I have gotten that were heat sealed were fish and it worked well for them.

RAOK Club #55
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:08 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
I do wet paper towels in a zip loc, then all the plant bags inside a plastic shopping bag. That goes in a shipping box which goes inside of a padded fr envelope

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I've shipped syn to the uk that have lasted healthy for 2 week arrival. I like to use sealed containers for bigger boxes of shipping. Airtight lock, wrap just only the roots in paper towel. A lot depends on grower and health of the plant. I'll do ziplocks within the us for small flat rate bagged in a fish bag, the ziplocks have too much airflow, but that depends again on healthy plants. Either way is fine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
i do what most of the others have stated. Wet paper towel, ziploc and I always use a box. I don't trust the mail not turning it into pea soup. If it's going to a warm/cold area I wrap the ziploc in several layer of newspaper for added protection from the weather.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode