My Ich Strategy...will it work? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Ich Strategy...will it work?

Hello,

I have a planted tank and noticed ich on my tetras. I have a betta, 5 cardinal tetras, 7 black neons, 3 snails, 4 african dwarf frogs, and a cherry shrimp with lots of plants in a 29 gallon. As the frogs, snails, and shrimp don't get ich I've kept them in the display tank and moved the tetras and bettas to my 10 gallon quarantine tank that I'm treating with API Super Ick Cure. I've read that this stuff shouldn't harm my plants but I see a lot of broscience online and don't want to risk it. In the display tank I've cranked up the heat to about 85/86 in the hopes that the ich's life cycle will be accelerated and will die without a host. The remaining wildlife seem to be ok with the higher temps, for now at least. I started this process on Monday.

I am kind of doubting my strategy though. Should I treat the display tank with the ich cure too or should the higher temps, accelerated life cycle, and lack of hosts kill the ich and if so, how long should that take? I've read it can take up to 72 days. While the fish in the quarantine tank can stay there indefinitely, obviously I'd like to get them back into the display tank as soon as possible but I don't want to get ahead of myself and start this mess all over again. I'm also concerned about the snails, frogs, and shrimp having to live in water that warm for that long. I'm considering easing the temperature back down to it's usual 76-78 degrees in a couple of days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The Ich life-cycle is temperature dependent. At cooler temperatures in an outdoor pond, say at 40 degrees, sure, it could take 72 days to go through its life-cycle. But the life-cycle of Ich in an aquarium above 75 degrees? No more than 7-10 days. Above 85 degrees - which is recommended temperature to treat Ich in aquarium- 7 days.

The life-cycle of Ich is very quick at temperatures that high. 1 week will suffice.
As far as the active ingredients in proprietary blends of Ich medications-- methelyene blue, formalin, malachite green or, as in Paraguard, acriflavine, none of these chemicals are said to harm plants at recommended treatment levels/duration of treatment. It is always best to treat for parasites in the tank that the affected fish are in and take out any animals that do not get the parasite.
deeda and Greggz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ah...so I did it backwards...epic. I guess I'll go ahead and treat the big tank then. I appreciate the advice. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode