Hello from a new member! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RLee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Hello from a new member!

Hello All!

I'd like to introduce myself! You can call me yello, and I have had fish tanks since I was 5 years old. I currently have a 75, 56, 20L, 10x2, and three 2.5's. Because I rent I cant go over 75 gallons sadly. My dream is to one day have tanks over 100 gallons. My husband is active duty so I can only have either the 75 or 56 going at any one time depending on which one the landlord says I can have. Well, we are being PCS to GA in the fall (unless coronavirus keeps troop movement at a standstill) and i would like to start the adventure there with a planted tank!

even though I have had tanks basically my whole life, I feel like I'm a novice. I'd like to up my game to a planted aquarium. Iv'e never tried it, and i want to! Thank you for helping me learn! I'll be quiet for a few months as I read and search the forums for the basics, such as lighting, substrate, etc. Once I get to GA and start setting up, I'm sure ill have many questions!

If you have any articles or books you like, please post them so I can get started! Should I start small with my 20L or start big with my 75? Thankyou!

-yello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

Hi yello and welcome! And thank your husband for his service! *Salute*

You'd like your future tanks to be high tech or low tech?

And what kind of creatures you intend to keep?

It's good to start researching now and know what you'll need later on so you can start preparing and get going once you've settled down

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, To be honest, I did not know there was a low tech or a high tech way. Which would be easier for someone to start out doing?

So far as fish. It depends on which tank ill be allowed to have. If the 75 is allowed I would like to do rainbow fish if they are good with plants. I know they are expensive, but I have always wanted a tank full. The 56 will probably just be whatever, maybe a community tank. It use to be cichlids, but I'm done with those crazy things! I do like semi-aggressive fish like barbs so who knows. I am sure there are some fish you want in a planted tank and some you don't. I'll have to research that. The 20L I go for smaller species of fish, like Crystal/Sparkling Gouramis, or other small tank fish. I kill guppies for some odd reaso... 0_O the 10 gallons I usually just do a betta and some shrimp (I've never had a betta attack them before...but I have been told they will) I also had peacock gudgeons in the 10G before those were fun.

Anyway. I have one Finex Planted 24/7 light on the 75, but I never tried to program it. I see where people program them on here, and some have two of them on their tanks. I wonder if ill need two. the 56 gallon is a cube, so it's going to be difficult to light because of how tall it is. Lots of reading.. it's so difficult to keep from getting overwhelmed! SO, I'm starting with lighting and going from there.

-yello

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

Well, everything is intricately linked to each other. Amount of lights to duration, amount of nutrients in the water, type of substrate used, type of fish and plants will determine whether you need hard or soft water, then type of fish with what type of water flow
Eg: Bettas don't like strong flow and prefer neutral PH, so you won't have a strong filter, probably won't inject co2 either. So you'll be looking at hardy and easy to maintain plants that doesn't need co2 injection.

High tech I suppose is one with CO2 injection.
Low tech I suppose is one without.

I'm no pro myself and just started experimenting with planted tanks and I'm hit with all sorts of algae issues from new tank syndrome to now green and hair algae, or stunted growth.

For au natural tanks without co2, you can read up on Diana Walstad.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellochevy02 View Post
Well, To be honest, I did not know there was a low tech or a high tech way. Which would be easier for someone to start out doing?

So far as fish. It depends on which tank ill be allowed to have. If the 75 is allowed I would like to do rainbow fish if they are good with plants. I know they are expensive, but I have always wanted a tank full. The 56 will probably just be whatever, maybe a community tank. It use to be cichlids, but I'm done with those crazy things! I do like semi-aggressive fish like barbs so who knows. I am sure there are some fish you want in a planted tank and some you don't. I'll have to research that. The 20L I go for smaller species of fish, like Crystal/Sparkling Gouramis, or other small tank fish. I kill guppies for some odd reaso... 0_O the 10 gallons I usually just do a betta and some shrimp (I've never had a betta attack them before...but I have been told they will) I also had peacock gudgeons in the 10G before those were fun.

Anyway. I have one Finex Planted 24/7 light on the 75, but I never tried to program it. I see where people program them on here, and some have two of them on their tanks. I wonder if ill need two. the 56 gallon is a cube, so it's going to be difficult to light because of how tall it is. Lots of reading.. it's so difficult to keep from getting overwhelmed! SO, I'm starting with lighting and going from there.

-yello

I would suggest reading this journal. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...il-3-15-a.html
Its a bit lengthy but a solid read if you want to keep rainbows and plants.
Greggz likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Dennis Wongs website is fantastic.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...anted-tank-101
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Yes it is!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode