Water change killed my snails - when to stop? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water change killed my snails - when to stop?

Hey all! Thanks for the help thus far as I set my tank up and get established - it's been great to draw on everyone's experience! I have a few questions about water changes / parameters, but first ill let you know a little about the tank:

So I've got a heavily planted 5 gallon soil substrate tank that is about 1.5 months old. The plants are doing great and I introduced bladder snails and MTS early and they are doing well - lots of babies which is what I wanted.

I have been doing weekly water changed to get rid of excess tannins (and because it's just sort of become a habit...) The way I do it is to slowly add water with a pump and take out a cup at a time until I've added about ~3 gallons of fresh water into the tank. So this is about a 60% water change or more.

Today before the water change I checked the parameters and it looks like it fully cycled (0ppm NH4, NO3, and NO2). My GH is at 130ppm and KH at 120ppm.

AFTER the water change some of the bladder snails started to freak out, expelled tons of frothy mucous, and several died. I didn't think a water change would effect them like this but it clearly did.

I added a few picture of my GH, KH, and PH progression throughout the tank getting established and one of my tank (because I'm proud of it...)

My questions are:

1. Why did this kill some snails?
2. Was it necessary to change the water at all?
3. When I do change the water is 60% too much?
4. Is my GH and KH at a reasonable level? (I eventually want to add some fresh water shrimp)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.25.20.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	897249  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.24.21 PM.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	897251  

it doesn't seem
very anxious to bloom,
this plum-tree at the gate (Issa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantgreengarden View Post
My questions are:

1. Why did this kill some snails?
2. Was it necessary to change the water at all?
3. When I do change the water is 60% too much?
4. Is my GH and KH at a reasonable level? (I eventually want to add some fresh water shrimp)

Thanks!
1) Hard to answer. First things that come to mind are : chloramine and copper. Does your tap have high levels of either? They can change abruptly, sometimes.
2) Snails are fairly tolerant of organics, unless ammonia becomes a problem. It sounds like your cycled, but you may want to monitor NH3 to see if you are getting spikes.
3) No, but probably not necessary for a snail-only tank and no algae problems. If you don't see algae as a problem, 25-30% every other week would probably be fine.
4) Yes
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response!

As far as the chloromine and copper I don't know... I don't have the means to test for that - I guess that's something ill have to look into.

Currently I'm checking NH3, NO2, NO3, PH, GH, KH and plan to do so at least once a week.

The GH and KH have been creeping up a bit, but seem to be pretty stable recently

it doesn't seem
very anxious to bloom,

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Did you add the proper amount of water conditioner for the amount of water you changed?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I never add water conditioner - what would the condition be changing in the water?

it doesn't seem
very anxious to bloom,
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 08:14 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you're using tap water you need to treat it to remove the chlorine or chloramine that is usually present. The other side note is that you're not changing close to 60% of your water. To change 60% you have to remove 60% and then add it back. Some of the water you're removing is water you just added back in.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantgreengarden View Post
As far as the chloromine and copper I don't know... I don't have the means to test for that - I guess that's something ill have to look into.
Chlorine/chloramine are what water companies put into our water to kill pathogens. Depending upon where you are in the water path (distance from the source), there could be enough to kill fauna. You can get inexpensive test kits at the same place you buy your other kits to test for this.

Copper may be measured by your water company, if they have a source in their supply (check with them). However, usually they don't measure it because the common source is in the pipes in our homes and buildings. So, you'll need to have it measured by a lab and you will only do it once or infrequently because of the cost. There are several, but the one I use is here: https://www.amazon.com/ICP-Analysis-...7911067&sr=8-3. The added benefit of this test is that it will show you all of the elements in your water, many of which are used by your plants.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If this is your normal drinking water and you are not sick, odds are good that it has chlorine in some form added to make it safe to drink. Chlorine is the most common type method of treating water to keep the normal bacteria down to safe levels to drink. But it also doesn't care if it is a snail in the water supply or a snail in your tank and will kill both!
Second item might be the way water is added if it stirs the sub and things are not well established. Stirring can lead to an ammonia spike which may not be dealt with when the tank is still quite new. It is always somewhat easy to upset a newer tank as the good bacteria we need is not fully developed in large numbers so any changes we make can create too much ammonia.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your water supply can change drastically as far as your livestock is concerned.

I've been living in this house since fall 2011. Every week for the last 7 1/2 years I've been doing water changes on my tanks without treating the water, never had any problems. Two weeks ago I did the water change on my 75 gallon tank just like normal and I went on my way to do the other chores around the homestead. At some point I walked by the tank and noticed about half of everything was dead/dying. I scooped out everything that was an obvious goner. That consisted of an uncountable number of Endlers, about 5 Bronze Cories and 2 of my Kribs. Since then I've ordered and started using Seachem Safe and no more issues.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the information and personal anecdotes all- very helpful. As I currently don't have anything in the tank besides the snails I think Ill look at the "ICP Analysis 33 Elemental Water Test Kit - Single Sample Kit" for my tap to see what Im working with and then move forward from there - thanks for the recommendation, very excited to see my results on that!

Thanks again all!

it doesn't seem
very anxious to bloom,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode