Easier Water Changes - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 16
Easier Water Changes

My aquarium used to be near a tap but is no longer so it makes water changes a PITA. I have to use a bucket.

I've been considering getting a PVC tube of about 25ft which should go directly from my tap to the aquarium. I can add de-chlorinator at the same time. I would then just need to get a pump to expel water in the other direction or via a shorter length PVC tube out of the window. The eventual plan with be to get a two or three-stage filter so it takes out chlorine/chloramine. I want to avoid RO.

The alternative is getting a Hozelock hose to connect to my tap. The added benefit is that it will stretch outside so I can wash my car and also clean the windows a lot easier. I am unsure about how this would work going backward though? Can I attach an aquarium pump to a Hozelock hose to get rid of old water?

I think both options would cost around the same price and I could eventually get a filter to add to either option and then take it all with me if I ever move house instead of having it permanently in place under the sink.

Which option would you go for or is there anything else to consider? I think both would cost around 20 give or take at least for the hose/tubing parts not the pump. Is there anything else I should consider? Which would you go for? The PVC tubing is available right away but it looks like there is no availability at B&Q for the Hozelock so I may have to wait sometime to get that at least at a good price unless I want to pay a lot more.
john10001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 1,777
I would go with the least cumbersome option, which usually means avoiding having to change attachments on a sink faucet. Although I currently have a waterbed water changing adapter on my faucet in a utility room (which I don't need to change every time I do a water change) and use a 15 gallon drum for RODI water, I used to have a pretty simple system where I used a 25 foot, 1/2" ID, drinking water hose attached to a ~300 GPH pump and an in-line ball valve on the other end of the hose to adjust flow during the second step.

To empty the tank, you place the pump in the tank and the other end of the hose wherever you want to discharge the water. Then, to refill the tank, you put a bucket in the sink, under the faucet, and reverse the line by putting the pump in the bucket and the discharge end of the hose into the tank. Now, you fill the bucket and, once filled, start the pump while letting the faucet continue to fill the bucket as the water in the bucket is pumped into the tank. If the pump starts to get ahead of the ability of the faucet to keep the bucket filled, you adjust the in-line ball valve to compensate.

This process takes about 10-15 minutes for a 15 gallon water change, which means that you have to make sure that your faucet water temperature matches the tank water temperature.
Deanna is offline  

change, water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome