Fendenbazole/Panacur C Safe for Plants and Biological Filtration?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Fendenbazole/Panacur C Safe for Plants and Biological Filtration??

Hi all,

I recently came down with an outbreak of planaria or rhabadocoela worms in my new planted tank. They are still small in size, but growing in numbers, and tend to come out when the lights are off/the tank is dark. There seem to be hundreds. I have a "low tech" 5 gal Fluval Spec V with DHG, an anubias nana, and some Rotala H'ra Vietnam, sitting on Flourite Black. I say "low tech" because I have a high light set up, but no pressurized CO2 yet. Just Excel (for now), micros, and macros, if any of this info is important for treatment. No fish or shrimp in this tank, so no need to consider them during treatment.

I have some questions regarding effects:
1. Will fendenbazole harm my plants? Anubias nana, Rotala H'ra, and DHG — specifically their roots, if I inject a mixed solution of Panacur into the substrate with a syringe to get any worms hiding in there.
2. Will fendenbazole harm my beneficial bacteria? Just got done cycling, so not trying to lose the progress.
3. I've heard that fendenbazole can soak into porous live rock in Marine tanks and leech into the water over time. I have Seachem Matrix, with is a porous rock, but not the same as porous live rock. Should I be concerned about this happening with the Matrix?

I've done a ton of research on fendenbazole treatments in aquariums, but have not found enough answers to these questions. I'm aware of dosing technique, and will be removing my Purigen beforehand.

Any answers, experiences, and advice on treating my planted tank with Panacur would be greatly appreciated! I have been gravel vacc'ing like crazy and doing large water changes. Since I just got done cylcling, there have been no fish or shrimp to feed. I know that these are common solutions to get rid of Planaria, but I want them gone ASAP, hence the Panacur.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by thekevchung; 04-25-2020 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Typos

Tags
fendenbazole, panacur c, planaria, planarian, treatment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode