Can you help me identify this worm? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you help me identify this worm?

Yesterday night i observed on the glass of my aquarium a bunch of them. Actually, they are in every area of the glass that the water flow does not hit it directly. Today they seemed to me to be less. They are either tiny like 0.1-0.2mm or very, very small up ti 1-1.1mm. It was impossible to me to take some of them and observe them more closely out of the aquarium. Luckily enough, tonight i managed to find one of them that is larger. Hopefully its the same species.

These are the videos i got, i cant do anything best really, its my phone camera (i dont have any better) + magnifying glass + full zoom.

Videos 1 and 2
Videos 3 and 4 i could not upload, i will try tomorrow with youtube.

It doesnt seem to me to be planaria that was my fear. But i have no idea what it is and if i should treat my tank for it.

ps: in my most spontaneous moment i have been in days, i treated the tank this afternoon with panacur :/

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 05:28 AM
Algae Grower

Unless it has a triangular looking head, I don't think it's planaria. Didn't seem like it in your videos.
I'd say it's probably rhabadocoela, which are very small are crawl around on the glass when the tank is dark.

Do you notice if more come out when the light is off?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

At first i thought so, but i am not sure. I noticed them right after the lights went on after the pause i have in my photoperiod, so i assumed they are photo sensitive, but i am not sure. Yesterday, no matter how many hours the lights were on, they did not seem to care, their population was the same in the glass all the time. But, there is ambient light in the room and i decreased the pause of the photoperiod (it was 3 hours during during late evening) so it may just be just an accident they seem not photosensitive.

It doesnt have a triangular head as it seems, but it doesnt seem to be flat either. Its more like a caterpillar. I am not sure what that means.

Strangely, my aquarium is 2 months old, 100L, and i have only 2 neocaridinas in there. I dont even feed, besides GlasGarten Bacter AE at the size of rise once a week. So i wonder what these worms and detritus worms i have eat.

Anyway, here are the rest of the videos, i uploaded them at youtube.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not a worm--that's a fly larva.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks and yeah, it does look like a caterpillar, though i am not aware of any local fly other than drain flies that could be multiplying using my aquarium.

Could these larva be any danger to Caridina shrimps or their offspring?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode