DIY CO2 stable levels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 stable levels

I wanna share with u how I made my CO2 set.

Adding co2 in aquarium water is important if we want our plants to grow strong and healthy. But it is not easy with DIY systems, I mean u cannot just make a mixture and let it run and be happy for a long time.
CO2 levels in most cases will be good from second day and be like that five days more, maybe longer. maybe shorter, depends on mixture which u make. Also on summer when its worm it does better than on winter. Main thing is that it is not constant, it fluctuate, and that is a reason for getting algae in your aquarium.

I'm using pressurized CO2, but until I was waiting for it to come I made DIY system (yeast and sugar) just to experiment. And I was satisfied (except off making a new mixture all the time )

For my 29 Gall tank i was using three bottles off 2 liters. Less bottles were not giving stable levels.
I took one food box from my wife, while she wasn't here and made three holes in cover, big enough that in each can place a bottle.
In that box will be water with heater, to make constant temperature. I was holding it around 86 degrees.
Like this:

I was using two small bottles for purifying co2 before it goes to aquarium. In first I added some filter padding to collect that nasty slime, second was just with water.
And check valve at output for any case.

For connecting all three bottles I was using three way air valve wich is maybe 3 $. This valve is really good when u change bottle, I just close it and put another bottle. Important is to not open it before new bottle makes enough pressure for working, for me it was about half an hour ( bottle was standing opened one night with mix inside to yeast start working).

When all put together it looks like this

My mixture was 400g of sugar and one tea spoon of yeast. And I was changing every three days different bottle, so one bottle was working 9 days. Maybe it could go longer than that but i wanted to play safe.

For diffuse I was using ceramic diffuser which was placed under intake off a canister filter. It was on all the time, day and night. Only at night i was running air stone full throttle. Fishes were super. And drop checker was always lime green when light was on.
I wanna say that it was giving a very stable amount of co2, was getting little bit more than 1 bps all the time, even when change bottle.

Never give up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
nice, in two weeks you will notice big difference of plant growth with co2.

then you will need more co2...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bettatail already have pressurized CO2 with 6bps and better surface agitation 😆 U are right, co2 makes u want more and more

Never give up

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode