Can I move it? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By athyra_firestorm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Can I move it?

I have a 40 breeder set up and want to build a new stand for it. I would really like to not have to uproot everything and re-scape it. The substrate is about 3Ē of bdbs. Think the tank will hold two people lifting it and doing a quick move (3 feet)? The tank was purchased new 3 months ago so seals should be all nice and new. Iíd like to be able to leave an inch of water or so above the substrate so I donít have to pull every last critter out.

What do you think? Iím thinking fine but if anyone has experience your thoughts would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did it with a 90 years ago. four guys. two minutes. no problem.

Same idea as you. I pulled out as much water as possible/safe and just held my breath and we moved it. Just think it through ahead of time and you'll be fine.

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 12:21 PM
Algae Grower

If you can slide it onto a rolling cart or a piece of plywood to support the bottom that would be safer. If not, I'd say if it's just for a quick minute or so and you have as much water out as possible it will probably be ok.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Crazygar likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Not quite as large of a tank but I've done a 29 gallon onto a trailer to the next town with a couple of fish. No issues. Good luck!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Avoiding twist is the key here. Tanks are strong if we don't put that twist in, so one idea that helps if we need to move it a long way is to add something really firm and solid under that ankd. We can often pry an end yuup after lowering the water and then gradually shim and pry it up to get something that will not twist placed under the whole tank. The solid item like a door, that does twist can then act as "handles" for helpers and then when one person falls a bit behind on even lifting, the board will not twist and break the tank.
If you think about it, getting four folks in exact same pattern for lifting is pretty hard.
It can be done but do keep in mind that it is a hazard and tanks don't really let us know that are about to break. First warning is that big, awful pop!
Can be a good idea to have a bucket of tank water handy---just in case you need to move some critters?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A 40 gallon breeder weighs 58 pounds empty (https://mrfishkeeper.com/aquarium-sizes/), and it will have the additional weight of 3" bdbd and 1" of water, so you can count on it being at least 100 pounds. Two reasonably strong individuals can handle it, especially if they plan ahead.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

Tank move

I recently moved my fish room location. All my tanks that were set up where drained as much as possible. Any hardscape that might fall over was removed. No plants or gravel were removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish_Room_Overview.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	897097  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish_Room_Overview2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	897099  

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

What I did in the past is had a scrap piece of plywood (3/4 inch) that was a few inches larger on all sides. Took out water, slide it in to plywood, then left and remove it allows to be moved and picked up several times... Sometimes I just leave the plywood under it...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks all for the replies! Iíll be giving it a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by athyra_firestorm View Post
If you can slide it onto a rolling cart or a piece of plywood to support the bottom that would be safer. If not, I'd say if it's just for a quick minute or so and you have as much water out as possible it will probably be ok.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Exactly what I do. No fear, and leave it on the cart until you are ready to move it back.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode