Seachem Flourish Nitrogen and Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Seachem Flourish Nitrogen and Tank

Hi, Everyone! I'm really new to plants and here, I have all easy care plants, what I was wondering is when my No.3 is at 0 in any of my planted tanks do I use the Seachem Flourish Nitrogen, as this was recommended but my LFS. I plan on only using it when the no.3 are 0. Also, one of my tanks is a 9 gallon Fluval Flex, I can not keep surface plants in there as they keep dying! I use the white light setting, my betta loves them but I'm always replacing it when my other tanks get too much so I transfer some to the Fluval. I've just recently put in Anubias Nana in there and so far it seems to be doing ok. Anyone else have that issue with this tank and surface plants? Any help for my two questions would be greatly appreciatedThanks so much!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
When Life Gets You Done, You Know What You Gotta Keep Doing? Just Keep Swimming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton View Post
Hi, Everyone! I'm really new to plants and here, I have all easy care plants, what I was wondering is when my No.3 is at 0 in any of my planted tanks do I use the Seachem Flourish Nitrogen, as this was recommended but my LFS. I plan on only using it when the no.3 are 0. Also, one of my tanks is a 9 gallon Fluval Flex, I can not keep surface plants in there as they keep dying! I use the white light setting, my betta loves them but I'm always replacing it when my other tanks get too much so I transfer some to the Fluval. I've just recently put in Anubias Nana in there and so far it seems to be doing ok. Anyone else have that issue with this tank and surface plants? Any help for my two questions would be greatly appreciated:-)Thanks so much!!!
Hi, is your tank properly cycled? Although test kits are sometimes inaccurate, your ammonia and nitrites should be at 0 and if you have a cycled tank there should be some nitrates at least indicating the bacteria are converting everything to nitrates. You should always have some nitrates in your tank when you have plants, although that may also occur naturally given you have fish, plants and a cycled system. Keep an eye on your plants for any deficiencies, I would dose some nitrogen for now though but again depends on your plant mass and given your tank is cycled properly. Seachem flourish may be ok for now too depending on your setup, its not really high in macros but high in trace elements/ micros and does have some nitrogen in it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Hi, is your tank properly cycled? Although test kits are sometimes inaccurate, your ammonia and nitrites should be at 0 and if you have a cycled tank there should be some nitrates at least indicating the bacteria are converting everything to nitrates. You should always have some nitrates in your tank when you have plants, although that may also occur naturally given you have fish, plants and a cycled system. Keep an eye on your plants for any deficiencies, I would dose some nitrogen for now though but again depends on your plant mass and given your tank is cycled properly. Seachem flourish may be ok for now too depending on your setup, its not really high in macros but high in trace elements/ micros and does have some nitrogen in it.
Thanks for the info all 4 of my tanks all cycled. There are some no.3 but not much, no.2 is 0 same with ammonia. I just tested all my tanks about an hour ago. My 30 gallon and my 10 gallon are the most planted. I have about 8 anubias in my 30 along with the surface being covered in frogbite. My 10 gallon has 2 types of moss, surface is covered in frog bite and just getting another plant ready to plant in there (Helanthium) The third tank has frog bite and Salvinia on the surface, 2 anubias and my last tank has another planted one (can't remember the name) and also surface in frog bite. I don't want to dose the nitrogen if I don't have to, which from what you said I shouldn't have to. I also have Flourish Excel and the little capsules but I don't use those ones (this was when I was trying more advanced plants.) All my plants are labeled as easy lol

When Life Gets You Done, You Know What You Gotta Keep Doing? Just Keep Swimming!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Thanks for the info <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a> all 4 of my tanks all cycled. There are some no.3 but not much, no.2 is 0 same with ammonia. I just tested all my tanks about an hour ago. My 30 gallon and my 10 gallon are the most planted. I have about 8 anubias in my 30 along with the surface being covered in frogbite. My 10 gallon has 2 types of moss, surface is covered in frog bite and just getting another plant ready to plant in there (Helanthium) The third tank has frog bite and Salvinia on the surface, 2 anubias and my last tank has another planted one (can't remember the name) and also surface in frog bite. I don't want to dose the nitrogen if I don't have to, which from what you said I shouldn't have to. I also have Flourish Excel and the little capsules but I don't use those ones (this was when I was trying more advanced plants.) All my plants are labeled as easy lol <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Icon Lol" >:-)</a>
Okay sounds great If you don't see any deficiencies than you should be all good, ones you do then I guess you will know to now dose more ferts. I would always use a all in one fertilizer, even in dry form then you know when you dose correctly the plants aren't lacking anything and can concentrate on other things such as light , flow and co2. I used to use the seachem range and its great but way too costly in the end, depending on your tank size of course. There will also be no ill effects of dosing nitrogen, mine for example are at 30ppm and plants are fine, other people have much higher ppms, as long as everything is in balance its good.

Tags
anubias nana, fluval flex, seachem flourish nitrogen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode