• 2 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Ddrizzle
  • 2 Post By Tiger15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Walstad/high tech tank hybrid?

Hi everyone! Here's an idea I just came up with...would it be possible to set up a hybrid between a walstad tank and a high tech tank, with CO2 dosing and ferts but with the fish providing most of the nitrogen (as ammonia)? I understand that most aquatic plants strongly prefer ammonia to nitrate...however, I also understand that algae also prefer ammonia over nitrate, and was wondering whether it would be possible to do this without the tank descending into an algae fest. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

My 40B journal linked in my signature is a high tech soil tank. I am getting ready to tear it down completely and redo it with inert substrate. The whole point of a Walstad tank is to save money. There really is no benefit to using soil outside of this one consideration. If spending the money on CO2 and high light, there is not much reason to go with dirt. I learned first hand it was a bad idea heh. My advice is to either use aquasoil (capped or not) or use an inert substrate unless you are just playing with soil to see if you can do it (which is one reason why I did it). Ideally no nutrients from your soil get into your water and your plants feed from the roots. But in reality this can be very hard to control.

If you are not planning to use dirt at all then its really not a Walstad tank, its just a regular high tech tank which of course works fine, that's what most folks who have co2 are running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK! Thanks I more meant having the plants be the filter in the high tech tank, though admittedly this wouldn't have much in common with a walstad tank otherwise. PS...could I use a substrate of Turface mvp and sphagnum moss (not peat moss, just long fiber sphagnum moss...I wanted some extra CEC without the extra nutrients dirt would provide)?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
OK! Thanks I more meant having the plants be the filter in the high tech tank, though admittedly this wouldn't have much in common with a walstad tank otherwise. PS...could I use a substrate of Turface mvp and sphagnum moss (not peat moss, just long fiber sphagnum moss...I wanted some extra CEC without the extra nutrients dirt would provide)?
Ah, yes its very possible to have plants be the only filters. If your tank is larger then say 10 gallons you will need something for water movement even if no filter is attached and you will need a fishload that is light enough to make it work but its all doable.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Ah, yes its very possible to have plants be the only filters. If your tank is larger then say 10 gallons you will need something for water movement even if no filter is attached and you will need a fishload that is light enough to make it work but its all doable.
I was going to have circulation anyway...otherwise CO2 distribution would be a problem, as I am using diffusers to dissolve the CO2 in the water column.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The whole point of high tech is adding co2 and medium to high light to greatly increase plant's growth rates. Once you do that, your plants require fertilizers to out pace the algae via alleleopathy.

So that said, no, I don't think this is a good idea unless you want to dose ammonia too. At that point you are back to fertilizing a high tech tank.
Grah the great likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dennis Wong has a discussion of ADA approach versus EI. ADA approach is essentially a hybrid of Walstad rich soil approach with high tech. ADA is lean on nutrient dosing, relying on soil to provide the other half.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...aches.html#ADA

Fish food alone will not provide balanced nutrients for plants, and you need to supplement what are missing. Dennis Wong has compiled a list of what nutrients fish food can provide, versus what tap water typically contains and what supplemental dosing is needed.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...hy-bother.html
Grah the great and KayakJimW like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode