Is water circulation necessary for a 5g with only plants and snails? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ddrizzle
  • 1 Post By eXsaNiTy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is water circulation necessary for a 5g with only plants and snails?

Right now I have a tiny pump running just for circulation in my soil substrate 5g planted tank with only a few snails living in the tank besides the plants (image attached - see pump in back right). But I find it annoying and maybe useless and am wondering if I would be okay to go without. It the water circulation providing any benefit? It doesn't disrupt the surface of the water.

Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	896533  

it doesn't seem
very anxious to bloom,
this plum-tree at the gate (Issa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 02:53 PM
Algae Grower

I would say it helps. Have you ever seen a stagnant pond or puddle? After a while it just gets gross with surface scum and algae. I guess if you're doing regular water changes it won't do that, but I would think the circulation would allow you to go a bit longer in between.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a few small bowls/jars with no circulation and no issue with those - they don't go stagnant as long as the plants are healthy. But there is more surface film if you don't have any agitation.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea maybe I will try going for a week or so and see what happens - but on the other hand things are going well right now as the plants are getting established so I'm nervous to make any changes.

ill dwell on it a little longer... thanks for the input!

it doesn't seem
very anxious to bloom,
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Essentially no, IF you have a soil substrate, decebt amount of faster growing plants, and especially if you have floating plants.

The substrate naturally reacts with droppings and decaying matter to turn it into usable substances for plants. Plants and especially floaters are mini beasts of nutrient absorbing machines which keeps the fish safe.. These work together like a natural habitat to keep the overall cycles going and balanced.

Filters became big and were necessary for fish tanks with no plants or substrate because the poop wouldn't break down without nitrifting bacteria in the water, eventually killing the fish. Plants like what fish produce and fishing food and what plants produce.

If you're very curious and want proof, order Walstad's planted aquarium ecology book which leans towards this type of tank with all of the raw, supporting science and explanation.
Streetwise likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It is an excellent resource, and is also available as an eBook.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

There's an excellent series of Youtube videos done of a hobbyist's experience with a Walstad 5 gallon with no filtration, just a heater and light and lots and lots of plants.

Of course the YT channel name escapes my memory....

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
There's an excellent series of Youtube videos done of a hobbyist's experience with a Walstad 5 gallon with no filtration, just a heater and light and lots and lots of plants.

Of course the YT channel name escapes my memory....
Foo the Flowerhorn has several setup and journal videos of Walstad tanks of various sizes. I am not sure if that is the specific channel to which you refer.
GrampsGrunge likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the continued information all!! Actually, the foo the flowerhorn videos got me into this hobby - he is great! And his videos mention Walstad's awesome[censored] book which I certainly wouldn't have gotten this far without. I know in some of her larger tanks she spoke of using simple filters partially as a means of, "distributing heat and keeping water oxygenated". Probably for my tiny tank it's not necessary, and I'm happy to have it as empty of equipment as possible.

Thanks again for all the help!

Also, it's wild how fast these things grow!! Attached is a picture of the tank since the picture I posted with on the 14th
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	896857  

it doesn't seem
very anxious to bloom,

Tags
circulation, circulation pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode