Need inspo, show me your large tanks! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need inspo, show me your large tanks!

Hi all,

So in January I set up my first planted aquarium, a low tech 15g Fluval Flex and it's doing fab, the plants are all growing really well, I got on top of the algae and it now looks lovely, all the fish have done great and my celestial pearl danios are breeding like crazy which leads me to this, I told my husband I don't want to give away my CBD babies and gently ran across the idea of a bigger tank to which he has agreed on guys!!!!!!!

So, the world is my oyster, I would love a reef tank but we are against that at the moment due to the maintenance and on-going expense (I've had a couple previously) so I am looking at a large, planted tank ideally. I've been looking at various aquariums, but I've no clue, to give you an idea I've been looking at the Eheim Proxima Classic 325, Oase Highline 400 Oak, and the Juwel Rio 450 so far. I would probably go low tech again but don't want to rule out high tech, are there any good posts/guides on here for what would be involved with a high tech one? Also, how do you manage water changes with larger tanks, any tips for not destroying the room I place it in? Any other things to bare in mind with a larger tank, probably looking at 500L max.

I really liked the plug and play aspect of the Fluval, the only thing I added was a decent heater, I use pure aquarium balls, some de-nitrate in the first chamber and I dose with Flourish Excel. I've been doing water changes usually once a week, anything from 10 to 15 litres so I guess I'm looking for inspiration, I'd love the idea of a planted discus tank, I've never kept discus but they look so beautiful. I need inspiration and pictures of your big tanks please, also, am I best at sticking to a plug and play system or am I better off getting the tank and then getting separate equipment, etc. Not sure where to start, I'm ideally looking for one with an oak cabinet to match our floor where it will be sited.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you if you read this far! x

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode