Seachem Stability Cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Stability Cycle

The directions don't mention anything about water changes but it looks like their website has a bunch of threads saying to try to avoid changing the water for the first week. But, at what point should you change the water for the safety of the fish? The tank was running for about a week with nothing in it while I waited for my plants and some last minute equipment to arrive. 4 days ago I started dropping some food to start the cycle. Plants got added 2 days ago and I started dosing Stability. Ammonia was at .25. 4 Zebra Danios and my CO2 got added yesterday and I'm feeding them once per day (they appear to eat all of the food so none should be left). Today, the ammonia is at .5 and nitrite already around .25 so I got that much quicker than I expected. Nitrate is about 10 which seems right with the fertilizer I dose. The tank is moderately planted but I'm going to try to add some floating plants to help absorb a bit more. I was debating doing a small water change tomorrow before I add the next dose of Stability and Prime but for now it appears ammonia + nitrite is under 1 which is a baseline I read in another thread before doing a water change.

40G Breeder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Zebra Dario are pretty sturdy fish but try to keep both at .25 or less. Always have some change water setting in bucket ready to go at proper or at least room temp.

The fact is even though fish are eating all food they poop it right back out in a form that actually raises ammonia levels quicker than just letting food biodegrade on it’s own, so ammonia will spike and subsequently nitrite. Do small water changes constantly, enough to keep ammonia and nitrite in check and keep up with stability dosing.

Also ammonium is main ammonia compound when PH is 6.8 or below, when PH shifts above that it converts to ammonia which is more lethal to livestock, so check PH of your change water. If ph out of tap is high let it degas for 24hrs setting bucket and test ph again.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks I'll do a water change tonight while continuing the Stability/Prime dosing and keep some water on standby for further water changes. My tap PH is 8 but with CO2 it drops to just above 7. I increased the time I run CO2 to keep the PH lower and I may increase it a little more to try to get it lower. My water is very soft and my GH buffer will be in Saturday so once I add that I'll up the CO2.

Also in the meantime I've been trying to dig through the Seachem forums and they're saying ammonia needs to peak between 1-2ppm to cycle properly. That seems insanely high before doing a water change. Maybe with Prime it's not as toxic but still.

Last edited by gooilers18; 04-09-2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: new info

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Just popping in to say one completely un-related thing:
LET’S GO OILERS

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode