Cycling new tank using FritzZyme 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Cycling new tank using FritzZyme 7

Started to cycle a new aquarium, Should I be introducing anything into the aquarium after using FritzZyme 7?

Water Parameters before dosing FritzZyme: using test strips
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 300
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 120
PH: 8

I Dosed the Fritz and waited 5 days (filter running, no lights, water at 75f) and all the parameters are the same except Nitrates are now at 0ppm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeriam View Post
Started to cycle a new aquarium, Should I be introducing anything into the aquarium after using FritzZyme 7?

Water Parameters before dosing FritzZyme: using test strips
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 300
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 120
PH: 8

I Dosed the Fritz and waited 5 days (filter running, no lights, water at 75f) and all the parameters are the same except Nitrates are now at 0ppm.
I am guessing you did not add any source of ammonia to the tank? When we cycle a tank we are growing bacteria. Bacteria grow if they have food which in our case is ammonia. The easiest solution is to just add some fish food and let it decay. If you do that today and still see no ammonia and nitrites but additional nitrates 3 or 5 days from now then you are good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

That is what I was thinking, I basically starved the bacteria... I'll add a source of ammonia.

Do you think I should re-dose the Fritz?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm thinking that w/o an ammonia source, BB could not develop sufficiently, but I also question nitrates dropping for 10ppm to 0. I doubt that the Fritzzyme product contains the anoxic or anaerobic bacteria (or the tank/filter has sufficient regions) to develop and convert nitrates into nitrogen gas.

In any case, yes, I would dose again once an ammonia source is established (which would be several days, if not a week or longer, for fish food to decay and produce ammonia).

You could even dose and add a fish or two as they will produce very little ammonia as the Fritzzyme BB colony further develops to handle it. This is no different than 'instant cycle' where filter and/or filter material from an established tank is used to 'instantly' cycle a new tank. ('cycling' is merely having enough BB to handle the ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate generated by the bio-load).

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeriam View Post
That is what I was thinking, I basically starved the bacteria... I'll add a source of ammonia.

Do you think I should re-dose the Fritz?
Hold off on redosing. Just add fish food for ammonia, wait a few days and see what your numbers look like. Its possible everything is fine. If you need to later you can add more fritz bacteria. But after a certain point you are just squirting it in there to make yourself feel better then anything for the tank.
rdcny likes this.

Tags
fritz 7, fritzzyme, new aquarium, nitrogen cycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode