Can hot glue be used in an Aquarium to bond rocks together? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By ajmckay
  • 1 Post By EdWiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can hot glue be used in an Aquarium to bond rocks together?

Can hot glue be used in an Aquarium to bond rocks together?

Does it leach chemicals into the water?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

It can be safely used but... its not exactly the best bond. If this is a temporary hold and you won't be relying on it for structural strength long term it's fine. But if this is going to be a situation where you really want this bond to hold these rocks up against gravity then you should consider using an aquarium safe silicone (any 100% silicone with no added fungicides). Takes 24 hours to cure but it provides a much stronger bond. Right Stuff Expanding Pond foam is another option but that one is usually even more messy if you are trying to hide your glue joints as it were.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower

I've use hot glue in aquariums before with no perceived ill effects. But I agree it's not going to hold permanently for rocks and such.

I've had good luck with underwater cure epoxy putty. Holds quite well. You can also press gravel/sand into it to hide it. I think it's $5 for a tube at home depot.

Superglue Gel also works for some smaller things.
Merriallynchian likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:01 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Hard pass on the cigarette filter for attaching rocks. Messy, gross, introduces potential problems down the road... particularly for more sensitive critters like shrimp (depending upon processing and material used in the filter) and in installations where there's more than minimal flow. It became popular because a few instagram & youtube personalities used it and not for any other reason that I can discern.

I say go with aquarium-safe silicone, which can - unfortunately - be iffy like hot glue. But it's a bit more flexible and holds up better longterm. I've had it last 5-6 years (maybe longer?) with lava rock and popular ADA-types of stone.

A much better option is to use the previously mentioned epoxy putty sticks traditionally sold for attaching coral fragments on the marine side of the hobby. Comes in several colors and is really affordable in terms of adhesive products. I've had it hold up for decades on everything from myriad reef rock to lava rock to slate and crappy sandstone.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:34 PM
Planted Member

+1 on underwater epoxy. When I was doing reef aquariums I used it extensively to secure my rock structure. Be aware it is a mechanical hold though, meaning you place your rocks first and then mold the epoxy around the contact points, so you have to use a lot of it. To hide the epoxy you can "coat" it with smaller rock pieces as mentioned above.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode