Should I put rocks in my Koi/goldfish pond? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should I put rocks in my Koi/goldfish pond?

Should I put rocks in my Koi/goldfish pond?

Some people have said not to do this to keep the water cleaner. I know some people also say the same thing for fish tanks however I always have rocks in the bottom of my fish tank and I think they provide beneficial bacterial, and also act as a cap for all the dirt.

However in a fish tank I am able to use like a Python to clean the gravel every once in a whole however the same may not be true for a pond.

Can anyone share some tips on how to setup a pond and if I should be using rocks/gravel?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been a long time since I had a pond so .....

In a aquarium if you just used largish rocks there wouldnt be a way to clean down inbetween them very easily. Not the same as having say sand substrate with some decorative rocks. Big spaces between piled rocks allows for too much buildup which can lead to issues.

Same can be said for a pond. If you have a substrate with some rocks about then would be fine but if you just have a bunch of larger rocks that will collect and hold stuff is where you run into issues.

Unless ofcourse if you have a very high flow rate say like hill stream loach type setup where enough water flow gets down into the rocks and can stir up anything trying to settle out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Been a long time since I had a pond so .....

In a aquarium if you just used largish rocks there wouldnt be a way to clean down inbetween them very easily. Not the same as having say sand substrate with some decorative rocks. Big spaces between piled rocks allows for too much buildup which can lead to issues.

Same can be said for a pond. If you have a substrate with some rocks about then would be fine but if you just have a bunch of larger rocks that will collect and hold stuff is where you run into issues.

Unless ofcourse if you have a very high flow rate say like hill stream loach type setup where enough water flow gets down into the rocks and can stir up anything trying to settle out.
What types of rocks would you recommend?

They have this at Home depot. Do you think this would be ok as long as I rinse it out first?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-0...4255/202523000

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Algae Grower

Donít do it! I put river rock in my pond and had to take it all out. If you want to put a few strategic boulders for the fish to hide, thatís different. Unless you can siphon like in an aquarium, all the dirt goes into the rocks and eventually build up ammonia and fungus. Once I removed my rocks I was able to net clean much easier and my fish got healthier. I would save your money an put nice rocks around the pond with plantings. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:18 PM
Algae Grower

Gravel on the bottom will provide a larger surface area for nitrogen using bacteria to grow on. Your goldfish will also like burrowing through them. I had goldfish in a tank by my bed as a teenager and the scraping of the gravel against the sides as the fish worked it could keep me awake at night.

Goldfish also get a bit anxious if the water in a pond is too clear. They seem to still have a fear of heron like birds.

Closest to rocks I ever put in my pond were ice cream tubs with holes in the bottom filled with gravel and earth and water lillies planted in them. Any time I made the water clear the fish would act obviously anxious. They obviously did not appreciate the chicken wire cover kept any opportunistic birds off. They originate in muddy water and can gulp air at the surface and absorb oxygen through their guts, an adaptation to ponds etc in the summer.

My pond didn't even have a filter, there was no practical way to get power to it (parents house, cost would have been extravagant). Periodically I would run the hose into it to flush stuff out but tried not to let it get too clean. This was in NZ with good water so safe from the tap. My fish bred in that pond so the situation could not have been too bad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode