Fungus on a cory and plant transfer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fungus on a cory and plant transfer?

So I noticed a cory in my heavily planted 40g tank have a white fungus on the side of his body just before his tail and behind his dorsal on his right side. Due to the tank being so heavily planted and tons of hiding places, and him being so skiddish when approaching the tank. (I don't have dither fish in the tank so my corys are more skiddish) catching him proved to be impossible and I only would see him occasionally, I figured at first it might of been him hurting himself on the driftwood from being chased off by my bristlenose or from the over run of bladder snails in the tank . So after the first week of noticing it, I treated the tank with a bacteria and fin rot medication from API, because I couldn't get an accurate look at exactly what he had, I figured it had to be backterial. However I saw no signs of it improving. The Cory is very active, every time I see him he seem to show no signs of illness, other than the big spot on his side. It has been 3 months since I first noticed it and treated it, None of my other fish have shown any signs of infection. all the other fish seem healthy. and as of today when I saw him he still had some fungus but most of it is gone. but now it just looks like his scales are missing and there is a raw spot, with no scales. The raw spot isn't red and looks like it isn't infected and is healing. So I just ordered another fungus medication online.

tank inhabitants are; Breeding pair of angels, 1 bristlenose pleco. 1 whiptail catfish, 15 emerald corys, 1 Madagascar rainbow(impulse rescue buy from petsmart, only 1 to survive QT) , 1 ember tetra, (the tetra is old and the last of his school.)

I want to move these fish and plants back into my 240g tank. (240g under went stand remodel, and 3D background rescape.) But before I do, I have some questions.

I want to convert my 40g into a QT tank for the new fish going into my 240g, and than eventually a reef,

Should I QT my plants into a separate tank with out fish for a few weeks before adding to my 240g? will the plants carry any fungal or bacterial diseases?

I plan on removing the substrate, and plants from the 40g tank while my fish are still in it. Keeping the sponge filter, canister filter going and keeping the driftwood in the tank . turning the 40g into a bare bottom QT tank. mostly so I can monitor the cory better. and monitor the other fish.

Also plan on putting the substrate in the 240g as well since it is fluval stratum and it will finish what Is left needed for the 240g tank. or should I let it dry out for a few weeks first?

I'm not in a hurry to move anything into the 240, Still have to finish setting up the sump and other things before it can be ready for fill up. and the Covid-19 QT has slowed my progress on the finish build. I just want to be able to move the plants and substrate into the 240g if I can since they don't need a filter to get established. but I also can wait if Need be. What do you all think?

before you ask Water perams are normal,

thanks.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode